• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Taking the first steps and scared

  • Thread starter Thread starter Scared83
  • Start date Start date
S

Scared83

Junior member
Joined
Jul 22, 2015
Messages
4
Hi, I am new to the forums.

I haven't been to the dentist in probably around 20 years, my parents never made me go as a child and as an adult I have just been too scared. My teeth have always been awful but 2 pregnancies made them much worse and now I am pregnant again and last night a chunk of tooth came out. I have tried contacting some dentists today via email who take nhs patients including the one my husband and children are registered with. I have a feeling I am going to need most of my teeth extracting and dentures and I am terrified, not only of the procedure itself but also of my husband and children being embarrassed and also my family, I am only 31.
 
Hi, I am new to the forums.

I haven't been to the dentist in probably around 20 years, my parents never made me go as a child and as an adult I have just been too scared. My teeth have always been awful but 2 pregnancies made them much worse and now I am pregnant again and last night a chunk of tooth came out. I have tried contacting some dentists today via email who take nhs patients including the one my husband and children are registered with. I have a feeling I am going to need most of my teeth extracting and dentures and I am terrified, not only of the procedure itself but also of my husband and children being embarrassed and also my family, I am only 31.

Hi scared 83...welcome to the forum..i joined yesterday;D

I know it seems alarming when a chunk of tooth falls off but extraction really is the last option...they usually see if they can build the tooth back up or if it can have a crown or something...i once had a tooth crack the whole way to the gum line and left it years before seeing a dentist (so you can imagine how much decay had set in ;D)...and the dentist I went to at that time still managed to save my tooth...about 3/4s of the tooth had to be drilled away and rebuilt back up but it was saved...so don't fear the worst...your tooth probably can be saved...

If you are wanting to get in good dental hygiene habits ask your dentist to refer you to a hygienist...they show you how to brush and floss properly...i stopped having a ton of problems after being shown the correct way to brush (in circles..not side to side or up and down:grin:)
 
Last edited:
Hi thank you for replying. It was nice a find a forum where I can post openly and see others in the same situation.
Now I have decided to get the ball rolling I am finding it so hard to find a dentist who is accepting NHS patients. I really want to get things going but just don't have the funds to pay privately :/
 
Hi thank you for replying. It was nice a find a forum where I can post openly and see others in the same situation.
Now I have decided to get the ball rolling I am finding it so hard to find a dentist who is accepting NHS patients. I really want to get things going but just don't have the funds to pay privately :/

I have an NHS dentist too;D

The way I found my dentist was to look online...for example if your city or town you are from is Brighton (I'm not from Brighton..im just using it as an example :) ) then type into google "nhs dentists in Brighton" and the search will bring up all the dentists in that city that are nhs...then just ring round and ask if they have any slots to take new nhs patients ...if they say yes and you want to be a patient there then ask them to book you an appointment.
As a new patient they usually ask you to bring your nhs/medical card number and proof of why you get free dental...e.g if you are on any benefits just take a benefit letter...its really no trouble to join
 
That's what I have been doing today but none in my town or those local hare taking on. My mouth is getting quite sore so I have managed to get an emergency appointment tomorrow, so scared now!
I have an exemption card as we are on a low income plus I am pregnant too so have double the reason for free treatment. I am petrified by my husband is being supportive and I need to get myself sorted now for the sake of my little boys and the one on the way.

Thank you again x
 
That's what I have been doing today but none in my town or those local hare taking on. My mouth is getting quite sore so I have managed to get an emergency appointment tomorrow, so scared now!
I have an exemption card as we are on a low income plus I am pregnant too so have double the reason for free treatment. I am petrified by my husband is being supportive and I need to get myself sorted now for the sake of my little boys and the one on the way.

Thank you again x

That's great you have the appointment tomorrow...does that mean they are taking you on as a patient?

That's fantastic you are exempt...I myself get free dental care...the prices they charge for treatments it would be too expensive to get teeth fixed otherwise...

Let us know how your appointment goes...and dont worry...the first appointment is usually just examining your mouth and teeth and xrays...its the appointments after that where they repair the teeth...:)
 
Back
Top