• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Taking the plunge...

  • Thread starter Thread starter reltubkh
  • Start date Start date
R

reltubkh

Junior member
Joined
Jun 9, 2010
Messages
3
I am finally taking the plunge and going to the dentist today. I feel like I might throw up. I know I have cavities which I know I can get through...but I have 2 broken teeth that I know cannot be fixed and I am ashamed of what she is going to think of me...is it possible she has seen worse teeth than mine? I wish I would have done this so long ago. I am just kicking myself. Is it really just awful the first time? Does it get easier after the first initial visit?
 
I am finally taking the plunge and going to the dentist today. I feel like I might throw up. I know I have cavities which I know I can get through...but I have 2 broken teeth that I know cannot be fixed and I am ashamed of what she is going to think of me...is it possible she has seen worse teeth than mine? I wish I would have done this so long ago. I am just kicking myself. Is it really just awful the first time? Does it get easier after the first initial visit?

You may think you have the worst teeth in the world, but you will have to go some to shock your dentist. She would have seen far worse.

Yes, it gets far easier. You just need a little confidence. Soon you won't think anything of going to the dentist.

You may be surprised at what can be saved. They can do an awful lot to save teeth.
 
ugh...I am freaking out...how do I even pay for this? How painful will it be? Can they give you pain meds before? I feel like I am so nervous I am going to faint...just feel like I am falling apart. And I know I have to go sooner than later, and later will just be worse, but I am still so scared...I can't talk myself down even though I know it is good for me...
 
Trust me..your dentist won't be shocked by your teeth. I'm betting mine are worse than yours, and my dentist didn't even blink..just went about his business. That was the hardest for me..just opening my mouth for that first appointment. It gets easier after that. [smiley=hugging.gif]
 
Thank you so much. I am in the chair as I type this and I have to say that doing nothing but reading the site and positive support on it is what made me calm.it is what gave me the courage to not leave the parking lot. I only cried a little and that was from embarrassment. Yes I am losing my 2 teeth, but it could have been more if I waited. Now that she has seen my mouth and I am passed the shameful stage I feel so much better about being here. I have a lot of work to do, but today really was the biggest hill. This forum is a life saver. I am going to treat my teeth like they are my babies for now on. I would rather be in pain from making my teeth better then be in pain from them getting worse. You can do it everyone! It is the scariest thing, but they are really here to help and not judge. What a relief. Now why didn't I do this 6 years ago?
 
This forum is a life saver.

Oh I SO agree with that! I could never have found the courage to make that first appointment without all the encouragement and support I've found here!
Good luck with your appointment..sounds like it's going well! :)
 
Thank you so much. I am in the chair as I type this and I have to say that doing nothing but reading the site and positive support on it is what made me calm.it is what gave me the courage to not leave the parking lot. I only cried a little and that was from embarrassment. Yes I am losing my 2 teeth, but it could have been more if I waited. Now that she has seen my mouth and I am passed the shameful stage I feel so much better about being here. I have a lot of work to do, but today really was the biggest hill. This forum is a life saver. I am going to treat my teeth like they are my babies for now on. I would rather be in pain from making my teeth better then be in pain from them getting worse. You can do it everyone! It is the scariest thing, but they are really here to help and not judge. What a relief. Now why didn't I do this 6 years ago?

Congrats and well done for getting this far. But don't kick yourself about what happened in the past - you should look to the future and how things will be from now on.

:respect:
 
Back
Top