• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

teeth whitening Dentist please answer

D

dentalantixtey81

Most people on this forum would be interested to know which toothpaste is enamel safe and can actually whiten your teeth without causing much sensitive. I actually use Crest 3d White Radiant
What would be some of the best tooth paste for whitening your smile? lets keep in mind some people on here including me have gum sensitive.

thanks

Hi, I have to say that personally, I generally advise against ‘whitening’ toothpastes. They tend to work by being abrasive which, as you’ve indicated can potentially contribute to sensitivity, gums receding and the wearing away of tooth surfaces (particularly if there are exposed root surfaces from the gum having receded).

As a result of this, if you experience sensitive teeth I would suggest having a thorough discussion with your dentists about the factors that may be contributing to that and aim to address these first. Often, I find that there can be an underlying frequent source of acid erosion in the diet (fruit, sparkling water, acid reflux for example). It may even be clenching or grinding the teeth.

Using a sensitive toothpaste and a gentle brushing technique will also help. Sensitive pastes will be less abrasive and it’s worth trying different brands. I find Pronamel to have a good success rate.

Once sensitivity has settled, then following that with professional whitening (eg dentist-made home whitening trays with 10% carbamide peroxide) is a safer method of whitening the teeth than using whitening pastes.

That’s my thoughts on it. I’d be interested to hear others.

agreed for whitening toothpaste

thanks for the info guys hope this helps somebody on here

I have personally been using Sensodyne Rapid Relief Mint

It cleans exceptionally well if that is good enough.

... and I like it a lot because when I was having carious tooth pain from a failed/leaking filling and could not isolate the pain to a specific tooth, I could actually feel this tooth paste get into where it hurt and sooth some of the pain. It also got my teeth very clean, and it tastes fantastic.

The first few times I used it, this toothpaste felt funny on my teeth almost felt like it was warm and burning a bit right in the spot that hurt; I did not like it at first. Then it started feeling better and soothing. It reduced my pain and sensitivity a lot.

That said my dentist says it is best to get a non-whentening, Stannous fluoride, ADA approved toothpaste, with minimal to no Sodium Laureth Sulfate/SLS (foaming agent) because that irritates some patients' gums. Pretty much all of them seem to have this in it from what I can see, so if you get gum issues like sores after toothpaste exposure you might have to look deeper perhaps.

Essentially I am told that Stannous fluoride preparations in addition reducing decay like every fluoride toothpaste also helps desensitize teeth much more than sodium fluoride, and it has some anti-microbial properties reducing plaque, gingivitis, and significantly freshens breath.

He said before Stannous Fluoride, you were basically stuck getting products with Triclosan as an antimicrobial or potassium-nitrate to reduce sensitivity. Now you get all the benefits in one.

Pro-Tip: Spit don't rinse to keep the flouride in contact with your teeth for a while after brushing.

I am sure there are more, but often it seems the big name brands make all sorts of different labels, packaging, and flavors for the same products. At this moment in time, these are the ones I found that do not mention whitening and have Stannous Fluoride:

Sensodyne Rapid Relief Mint

Sensodyne Rapid Relief Extra Fresh

Sensodyne Repair and Protect

Sensodyne Repair and Protect Extra Fresh

Sensodyne Complete Protection

Sensodyne Complete Protection Extra Fresh

Colgate Total SF Whole Mouth Health Clean Mint

Crest Gum Detoxify Deep Clean

Crest Pro-Health Sensitive and Enamel Shield

Crest Gum and Enamel Repair Toothpaste Intensive Clean

Crest Pro-Health Sensitivity Complete Protection

Crest Pro-Health Advanced Deep Clean Mint

Last edited by a moderator:
Triclosan shouldn't be used by anyone

Triclosan shouldn't be used by anyone

Yeah it’s not produced anymore... though there is still a lot of it out there that is in use and not even expired. Colgate pulled Triclosan out of Total and replaced it with Stannous Fluoride in their Total SF family of toothpastes. The replacement offers similar anti-microbial benefits.

Sensodyne, which has historically been using potassium nitrate as a desensitizer for years has many new formulations without it like their Rapid Relief, which has Stannous Flouride the desensitizer.

What it comes down to is consumer choices. Pretty much each major brand has many choices of toothpastes with this same ingredient that provides a lot of benefit beyond merely decreasing the risk of caries.

Back