• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Temporary crown placed after root canal, told tooth was “tricky.”

T

TKB1974

I went in today to get a temporary crown on tooth #2 (upper molar). The root canal last week went great, no problems at all, but today’s appointment took 2 hours and 15 minutes. I was told that the tooth was “tricky” and the process took a lot longer than they were anticipating. Does anyone know what might cause an issue? My tooth feels okay now, but my gums around the tooth is very sore. I was less nervous for this procedure than I was for the root canal & this procedure was far less comfortable for me. No real pain but so much noise/drilling. Etc. I’m in a bit of a panic because I need another rct + crown on a broken lower molar & I'm scared to go through this again. Now that the main “emergencies” have been addressed, I will go in a week from today for my first dental X-rays/cleaning/exam in almost 10 years. I’m so terrified of what else they’ll find & how much more it will cost me! I’m already in $1300 out of pocket for the rct + crown. My limit is $1750, so pretty soon everything will be 100% out of pocket. I’m just hoping any additional repairs can wait until January when my dental kicks back in again. I’m seriously going to go broke. ?

Hi TKB1974,

sorry to read about how uncomfortable the procedure was. The important thing to remember is that just because a procedure on one tooth didn't feel comfortable, it doesn't mean that it will be the case on an other tooth too. A tooth being "tricky" can mean really anything. Very often it's about the dentist's comfort and the level of easiness. Fixing teeth is a very fine work and requires a lot of precision. As every tooth is different, sometimes this is more challenging than other times. However, it doesn't necessarily mean that you will have further troubles with the tooth. If you want to know exactly, what the issue was, your dentist will be able to tell you.
It's a bummer that dental care is so expensive in US. Seeing a dentist after a long time is enough of a challenge, but then having to fear the cost as well.. Fingers crossed that you don't need any further expensive work!

All the best wishes

Back