• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

temporary fillings and extraction, please advise. lots of pain

A

Amyyy123

Hi
I'm Amy, 21 years old, 2 weeks ago I had a molar on the right side extracted (the 1st molar if I'm not mistaken) which was not a very pleasant experience as the pain was horrifying, since than the area is sensitive so I have been using the other side to chew which has been causing a lot of pain too and is extremely sensitive, the dentist said that the molar on the left will be taken out too I'm terrified of going back to the dentist right now because for the recent extraction the area was not even numb, and I had an abscess apparently, yet the tooth was pulled out rather mercilessly with too much of force. is it possible to maybe get a temporary filling on the left till the gum on the right completely heals.
terrified and in rather much pain, please advise :(

Would be worth having a chat with your dentist but if the tooth definitely needs to come out it may be worth doing that before it becomes infected like that last one.

Explain your worries to the dentist and I’m sure they’ll try and do their best to help find a way forward that suits.

Hi
I'm Amy, 21 years old, 2 weeks ago I had a molar on the right side extracted (the 1st molar if I'm not mistaken) which was not a very pleasant experience as the pain was horrifying, since than the area is sensitive so I have been using the other side to chew which has been causing a lot of pain too and is extremely sensitive, the dentist said that the molar on the left will be taken out too I'm terrified of going back to the dentist right now because for the recent extraction the area was not even numb, and I had an abscess apparently, yet the tooth was pulled out rather mercilessly with too much of force. is it possible to maybe get a temporary filling on the left till the gum on the right completely heals.
terrified and in rather much pain, please advise :(

About a month ago I had an upper molar #3 extracted by an oral surgeon after dealing with failure after failure and a lot of pain/issues with the tooth. I dont know why you wouldnt have been numb for the extraction but perhaps go to an oral surgeon for the extraction. I am now 1 month out from the extraction and for me the site is still pretty sensitive and the two teeth next to it are sore - not painful - but sore. My oral surgeon told me that due to the months of pain that I had it may take awhile for the area to calm down - so maybe that it part of what you are dealing with on that side. I would recommend taking care of what you have as soon as you can so that it doesnt get worse - just make sure that you have the right people helping you.

Dear Amy,

really sorry about your experience with the last extraction and under this circumstances I get you not wanting to experience that again! While pressure sometimes can‘t be avoided when it comes to extractions, there certainly shouldn‘t be any pain involved. I can only encourage you to talk to your dentist and let him/her explain what they can do for you to stay comfortable during the procedure. When it comes to finding a solution for you to be able to chew after the extraction, a chat to your dentist might help here too, as Mike mentioned. It sounds like you aren‘t comfortable chewing on either side at the moment due to the pain from the bothering tooth, so it sounds like things can only get better for you after the needed treatment.

All the best wishes and keep us posted

Amy,

I'm so sorry what happened to you with this extraction! and it is completely valid and rational you would be hesitiant to go back for your next extraction. And I can imagine the pain is so intensifying the emotions of it all too.

" I'm terrified of going back to the dentist right now because for the recent extraction the area was not even numb, and I had an abscess apparently, yet the tooth was pulled out rather mercilessly with too much of force. "

This is a very scary situation. One I went through, I had a very similiar situation that happened quickly just over 2 years ago and it was a frightening experience. I guess I would be VERY hesitant to go back to the same dentist? (I basically ran from the dentist who did that extraction never to go back scared me so entirely much) Maybe a different dentist who is sensitive to your anxietes and fears based off this past experience would be really helpful. I had an extraction this year the first after my last awful extracton and this dentist took his time and also made sure I was numb because I mentioned the last experience and he knew how scared I was. He was extremely patient and gentle about it. I'm hoping you can get the same if you end up needing it.

Let us know how things progress.

Back