• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified and need advice please

Dentist 3 should still be able to provide a factual report on the situation as he found it before starting treatment.
He should run it via his defence union for clearance but if he has good radiographs and photos before treatment his report will be valid.

You need proper insured legal advice here.

Gordon, thank you so much. I have spoken with my solicitor who has spoken to D3 and has told me exactly the same as you and that D3 is sending xrays, photos and notes to him and that these are acceptable evidence. D3 seems very thorough. It was of great solace to me to read your opinion before I had a chance to speak with my solicitor. Thank you.

jatay, thank you for your support and apologies for the delay in replying. I have now started legal proceedings and will probably report them to their governing body though I hoped it could have been resolved before this but feel I have no option. Thanks again.

Last edited:
It's time to take legal action.
Unfortunately, you are correct and legal proceedings have been initiated. Thank you for your input and support, it means a lot.

Good luck and keep us posted how you get on. It's depressing how dentists can get themselves into such a mess where a decent apology and a prompt refund would mostly make it all go away.

Well nearly into March and remedial work on the top overdenture is progressing well, though as expected, slowly. D3 is very particular and adjusts each tooth individually to try to get an acceptable aesthetic look before sending back to lab. I have had a few of these try ins and am seeing the lab technician for further clarity. These teeth are perfect but as I don't have a perfect face :), would prefer something a tad more natural looking. D3 is so patient and accommodating....so different than being told "you'll get used to them" ... that when told they would send them back to the lab a 100 times if neccessary, I wailed like a wean. So much for stress relief techniques and counselling :)

The legal aspect is not so encouraging as the dentist suggested to give a report said he couldn't do it. There may be my last hope with yet another dentist but if he declines....???

Interesting to note that there was a complaint made to the GDC about D2 several years ago and he received a written warning but his appeal in the high court found in his favour because of an error on the part of the GDC. This is not very encouraging if I need to go down this route.

Thanks for listening.

I can't really advise on the legal front, but if anything, I'd say at the very least, you to rocked the boat and created some discomfort and inconvenience for the other dentist/practice. But most importantly, you moved ahead with your treatment and got a better dentist and better quality work done. This is the most important thing among everything else. So all in all, it's a good update!

Thank you so much for your reply, I find it extremely encouraging. Indeed I think I'm content with my final upper restoration, the style is a fair replication of my own natural teeth as I remember them from long ago, though they feel "wrong" as they still protrude somewhat and my speech has not improved a great deal. Perhaps when I get my lower ones, I may notice a difference. On that note, I am due to have the failed implant replaced on tuesday and I don't have words to express how terrified I am. Although this dentist is so understanding and has infinate patience and a gentle approach, I'm not sure I can face it. I have had to have medication on the day and counselling the day before each visit for the upper restoration, so how the hell am I going to cope with surgery and all the accompanying flashbacks etc? Any tips on how to actually get me through the door would be greatly appreciated. Desperation and despondency is setting in and terror sweeps in like the tide. ~i am trying to stay positive and appreciate humour so feel free to tell me I'm f**d, Apologies if that is offensive but clutching at straws here...smiles weakly.
As an aside, my final hope for a dentist to give a second opinion has been dashed as he refused on the grounds that he knows D1 and D2. No matter, I just want to be able to eat after nearly 2 years of eating mush. My wee year old grandson and I had a competition to see who got their teeth first...he wins. If I may vent....D3 has offered midazolam for sedation and I asked if he was going to reverse the effects to which he seemed confused and said no, that they only used flumazenil as an emergency drug. Oh dear, D2 used it routinely. Rant over. Any adice or pearls of wisdom would be more than appreciated. Bless you all for the support you give, it is truly invaluable.

Attachments

• Luke3 (5).jpg
    Luke3 (5).jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 5
If D2 used it routinely then that's damn near a shooting offence right there. You're well shot of him/her/it. When I ran a dental service anyone who used Flumazenil had to go through a lengthy significant event analysis and explain to their peers what went wrong...

Replacing the failed implant should not be that big a deal, since D3 knows what he's doing, why not have the midazolam to help you get through it? Comfort dentist does a lot of implant work, so any specific worries I'm sure he'd be happy to comment.

Gordon, thank you again. I say routinely about D2's drug use as he reversed the effects on the two occasions he performed surgery. Before the first surgery he asked me beforehand if l wanted it reversed and, not realising its inappropriate use and risk involved, I said yes thinking this was a good idea. Now l understand his smug remark as l was leaving...."you'll sleep well tonight"... it was because the half life of the reversal agent is less than midazolam so l was resedated? D3 was horrified and explained its use and having to a have a sound justification for use. Something else to bring to the attention of the GDC?
From experience, l know physically having the implant replaced is not a big deal but emotionally l'm in bits. Having had so much go wrong over the last 2 years l can't help but envisage nerve damage, infections, decapitation etc ad infinitum...attempted joke.
Thank you again for your input and understanding.

Now l understand his smug remark as l was leaving...."you'll sleep well tonight"... it was because the half life of the reversal agent is less than midazolam so l was resedated? D3 was horrified and explained its use and having to a have a sound justification for use. Something else to bring to the attention of the GDC?

Yes, it's a risk, it's not particularly dangerous but it could be an issue.
Since there is no clinical benefit to the patient in using it in the circumstances described, there's no justification for taking the risk... it's also been reported that having the sedation abruptly reversed is quite an unpleasant "shock" for the patient, bit like being wakened up by a fire alarm going off in the room.

When the GDC get involved in a case, they tend to go into the practice in massive detail, they will find the slightest errors in somebody's clinical practice and add them to the list of charges. If they've been recording the use of Flumazenil in the notes then they'll pick that up, especially if the dentist hasn't made appropriate notes as to why it was used and what steps they took to prevent it being used again, they're in deep trouble.

Just a wee update....well l am proud to say l survived the surgery for the lower implant ( it actually "feels" different and indeed better than the othe implants l have had) and just waiting for it to integrate before restoration. :hidesbehindsofa: l feel really blessed to have found this dentist.

Good news too on the legal front, we have found a dentist who is prepared to give a report on the original work done. This dentist acts as an Expert Witness in Dento-Legal cases and acts as Clinical Advisor and Expert to the GDC.

Could l ask if there would be a conflict of interest here with this expert as l intend to make a complaint to the GDC about dentists 1 and 2?

Again my thanks for your help and support. :thankyou:

No. It's a factual statement, backed up with presumably x-rays and photos etc.

Glad things are going well for you.

Gordon thank you, as always for your informative reply and support.

Just a wee update....well l am proud to say l survived the surgery for the lower implant ( it actually "feels" different and indeed better than the othe implants l have had) and just waiting for it to integrate before restoration. :hidesbehindsofa: l feel really blessed to have found this dentist.

Good news too on the legal front, we have found a dentist who is prepared to give a report on the original work done. This dentist acts as an Expert Witness in Dento-Legal cases and acts as Clinical Advisor and Expert to the GDC.

Could l ask if there would be a conflict of interest here with this expert as l intend to make a complaint to the GDC about dentists 1 and 2?

Again my thanks for your help and support. :thankyou:
that's great news,I had mine placed friday its been rough. What day did you start feeling "normal"?

tazey, delighted to hear you are making progress, it's been a long hard road for you. It will be well worth it though. How are you feeling now? I'm not sure l was ever "normal" lol but to be honest, getting implants placed is not too bad, certainly l found it less traumatic than root canal treatments, although l had my implants placed just after extraction which was a bit more uncomfortable. The single one l had last there was no problem at all, didn;t even need painkillers. l has temporary dentures straight away so they kind of protected the work done and healing is usually fairly quick in the mouth, if you don't get infections. The stitches can nip a bit but that was it for me. Do keep to a very soft diet at first though and use salt and water rinses and stick to any advice your dentist gave you. It's important too to rest and look after yourself to build your strength up. Looking forward to hearing about your progress. xx

tazey, delighted to hear you are making progress, it's been a long hard road for you. It will be well worth it though. How are you feeling now? I'm not sure l was ever "normal" lol but to be honest, getting implants placed is not too bad, certainly l found it less traumatic than root canal treatments, although l had my implants placed just after extraction which was a bit more uncomfortable. The single one l had last there was no problem at all, didn;t even need painkillers. l has temporary dentures straight away so they kind of protected the work done and healing is usually fairly quick in the mouth, if you don't get infections. The stitches can nip a bit but that was it for me. Do keep to a very soft diet at first though and use salt and water rinses and stick to any advice your dentist gave you. It's important too to rest and look after yourself to build your strength up. Looking forward to hearing about your progress. xx
to be honest awfull (but could be lots of reasons to that) when was your first check up after? mine is apparently 3wks (seems a while off). I've barely eaten in 5 days I think my tongue is cut,I've tryed changing my antibiotics too but they won't change them :( Rest isn't the prob I'm in bed all the time with nothing to do,I will update but pretty much in the dark at the mo so could be a while. x

Sorry to hear you'r not great....what does awful mean? After my first implants my first checkup was one week but l had full extractions too. For the single replacement implant it was just over 2 weeks so don't worry unless you have problems then you can call them?
Just make sure you drink plenty if not eating much, try soups, thin porridge and maybe those meal replacement drinks? They have all the nutrients you need to help your body heal.
Could you get out of bed more and move around, change of scenery often helps and moving helps the circulation which includes a good blood supply to the gums to aid healing.
Just focus on the outcome, nice smile, no more toothache, enjoying food again, restoring your confidence. l went from being a strong, confident, independent woman to a jibbering idiot who could not even make a decision as to what to make for dinner!
l see the light at the end of the tunnel for you and it's as bright as your new smile will be.
Stay strong. x

Sorry to hear you'r not great....what does awful mean? After my first implants my first checkup was one week but l had full extractions too. For the single replacement implant it was just over 2 weeks so don't worry unless you have problems then you can call them?
Just make sure you drink plenty if not eating much, try soups, thin porridge and maybe those meal replacement drinks? They have all the nutrients you need to help your body heal.
Could you get out of bed more and move around, change of scenery often helps and moving helps the circulation which includes a good blood supply to the gums to aid healing.
Just focus on the outcome, nice smile, no more toothache, enjoying food again, restoring your confidence. l went from being a strong, confident, independent woman to a jibbering idiot who could not even make a decision as to what to make for dinner!
l see the light at the end of the tunnel for you and it's as bright as your new smile will be.
Stay strong. x
thanks will answer on my other thread x

Oh dear, where will l find that? x

Back