• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified of upcoming appointment

E

Edgarallanbro

Hey, everyone.

My father and I scheduled an appointment with the dentist to address a hole in my upper-left molar. As the title claims, I'm very afraid of this appointment. I've only been to the dentist's once (when I was 16) since I was a child. So I don't really know what to expect with my new dentist.

I took decent care of my teeth until I hit grade 7. My depression rapidly got worse, and I also believe this was when I first started to experience social anxiety, which I'm now also diagnosed with. As my mental health declined, so did my physical health, dental included.

Ever since I was a child, I've had trouble fitting in. I don't have an exact reason why. Although, I suspect that my ADHD and depression could be the cause. Most people thought I was weird, obnoxious, and dumb. Whatever it was, I had difficulty making and keeping friends.

I've been taking better care of my teeth and physical health since my appointment when I was 16, but my teeth aren't even remotely close to perfect.

All that has slowly eroded my self-esteem, which was already abysmal since the beginning of grade 7. After perusing this forum, my paranoia about how my dentist will treat me has gotten worse. I'm quite afraid of being derided and humiliated.

I just don't know how to calm myself down. The anxiety is overwhelming me.

Last edited:
Hi :welcome: to the forum.

You will fit right in here as we are all nervous and afraid of visiting the dentist. You will have noticed that people on here will not judge you or tell you off.

The first appointment is like a meet and greet, explain to the dentist how you feel and explain that you are nervous. They like to be able to have a look at your teeth and maybe take an x ray if you feel you can cope with that. They will discuss with you the best course or treatment they advise that you will need and how best to get it done. They will work with you and they won't judge you, they are there to help and will be pleased that you have found the courage to go and get help.

Once you start going and getting treatment your confidence will grow, it is amazing to me how good it makes you feel. Not just because you don't have the worry with your teeth but it makes you feel better in everyday life as well. You will feel like a weight has been lifted off your shoulders once you have been to that first appointment.

Good luck for your upcoming app :clover::clover::clover::butterfly:

Know how you feel! I am terrified! I go regularly but fear ruins my life!

Back