• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Terrified to brush teeth after tooth extraction

L

LadyTaterTots

Hi. This is my first post here and I am hoping for some support or advice as I am feeling so confused and scared.

I am on the 5th day of my tooth extraction, 1 upper wisdom tooth and 1 lower molar. It took everything in me just to let them do it - and thankfully I have a kind dentist. I have been following the post surgical instructions very strictly because I’m terrified of either getting dry socket or an infection.

I have been rinsing with warm salt water 4-5 times a day as instructed, usually after meals. But I have no idea what to do about brushing! Do I use toothpaste? Water? My tongue feels disgusting. Last night I tried to brush VERY gently with just water + floss, then rinse with warm salt water, but it doesn’t seem enough?? I’m honestly scared of doing something wrong. My dentist did not give me any anti-bacterial mouthwash to rinse with. I’m so afraid of them getting infected. I don’t know what to do.

I just want to brush my (non-extracted area) teeth with toothpaste and clean my tongue. I hate this feeling and I’m terrified I’m going to get an infection. I’m terrified other people can smell my breath and it won’t get better because my molar isn’t anywhere near “closing”. Please, any advice from dentists or others that have been through tooth extractions would help. This whole process has driven me bonkers and I just want it to be over and be free from this constant fear.

Hi,

The extraction site is not “closed yet”, it takes a few weeks for it to close down and a few months to reach its definitive form.
After 5 days the blood clot and the granulation tissue is stable enough for the brush. It is better to brush gently, not only the extraction site but also the teeth themselves.

Hi,

The extraction site is not “closed yet”, it takes a few weeks for it to close down and a few months to reach its definitive form.
After 5 days the blood clot and the granulation tissue is stable enough for the brush. It is better to brush gently, not only the extraction site but also the teeth themselves.

Thank you!! That’s a relief. Should I use toothpaste or just water?

Back