• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

That was it? I feel so stupid.

  • Thread starter Thread starter topekafrankie
  • Start date Start date
T

topekafrankie

Junior member
Joined
Aug 1, 2013
Messages
10
After 38 years of not seeing the dentist, my appointment was this morning. I went in feeling like I was going to throw up. The hygenist came and got me and did some Xrays and then cleaned my teeth. It was a little uncomfortable but no real pain. She then said she needed to get the Dr. and I was literally sitting in the chair trembling waiting for all the horrible news that I was sure was coming. The Dr came in and looked at the xrays, and looked and felt around in my mouth a bit. All the horrible news I was sure was coming? No cavities, one broken tooth that they couldn't do anything with and they referred me to an oral surgeon to remove it, and do a bone graft to prep for an implant. Other than that just some mild gum disease that they scheduled a scaling in a couple weeks. They said they wanted to numb it, because they did need to do a lot of scraping and it would probably be pretty uncomfortable. That's it. There was no pain, there were no lectures. The dr was surprised that I never felt any pain when the tooth broke and said if I'd come in when it happened that they probably could have saved it, but that's it. In the space of 40 minutes I went from being completely terrified to feeling like a complete moron for putting it off for so long. I know my problems are nothing compared to many on this forum. But I do thank the creators of this place and those that responded to the thread because it went a long way towards easing my stress and anxiety.

My advice to those that are where I was a couple of weeks ago: It honestly will be nowhere near as bad in reality as it is in your head. Call the dr's office and talk to someone and let them know you're scared. Your teeth aren't as bad as you think they are. The dr has seen worse then you, probably that same morning. The dr is there to help you, and a good one won't judge or lecture, but will just tell you your options and work out a timetable to get your mouth on the road to being healthy. The best thing? After the cleaning, bad breath is gone, and the weird taste in my mouth is gone, and my teeth just feel really good for the first time in decades. Thank you again for creating this place, and for listening.
 
Well done ! Sensible post alert !!
 
Sooooooooo true! I had a similar experience that I was going to post about too. It's never as bad as you think it is. I will never stop going to the dentist regularly again. The fear of what it's going to be like the first time as enough to scare me into going regularly again. Great post.
 
Back
Top