• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Is it normal to be able to feel a difference in texture between the top of the filling and the tooth, 3 weeks after it was done?

E

E93

I have a bunch of filling in my mouth (all composite). Got three done recently (also composite).

I have been very anxious about my teeth cause since I had the last one I had a persistent bad taste in my mouth (maybe related to the filling maybe not, the dentist says my fillings are ok and not damaged)

This morning I noticed that, especially if my mouth is a bit dry, I can definitely feel a difference in texture between the top bit of the tooth where I had these recent fillings, and the rest of my mouth. It doesn't feel "super" rough, but it definitely feels less... uh... "glassy". It's like, that bit of the tooth has just a bit more friction when i pass my tongue over it.

This feeling is only for the top not for the side.

Is this normal?
None of my other fillings feel like that, but I also had them for three years at this point, unlike these new ones.
Will it smooth it out?

It's not particularly annoying, in fact, I'm not even 100% sure that what I'm feeling is the filling and not some bit of vaguely rougher tooth surface, if I don't go and find it I don't really notice. But I am worried that the fillings might be cheaply made? I don't know how any of this dental stuff works, so please let me know?

I am mostly very anxious about this stuff lately because this taste in my mouth which has been there for a month at this point, while neither my GP nor my dentist can identify a cause.

So just let me know if what I described rings any alarm bell, or if i'm just being silly.

Last edited:
Sounds like the fillings could do with a polish up, doesn't take a minute and doesn't hurt. Some people are more aware of things like this than others. It probably will smooth down a bit over time so it's up to you whether you can be bothered getting them looked at sooner than that.

If I run my tongue over a tooth with a filling, I can absolutely tell the difference between what is tooth and what is filling - is that what you mean? Mine aren’t composite though, so perhaps that makes a difference.

Sounds like the fillings could do with a polish up, doesn't take a minute and doesn't hurt. Some people are more aware of things like this than others. It probably will smooth down a bit over time so it's up to you whether you can be bothered getting them looked at sooner than that.
There is no way that a rough filling would cause a weird taste in my mouth for 3+ weeks right?
And if it was under-cured i'd probably have other symptoms right?

Just checking out things. I've got a weird taste in my mouth for a month now, and neither the dentist nor the gp can identify what it is...

No and yes.

I'm dredging up an idea from the dim and distant past that there's some kind of link between metallic taste in the mouth and vitamin or mineral deficiency try some multivitamin tabs for a few days and see if it improves?

No and yes.

I'm dredging up an idea from the dim and distant past that there's some kind of link between metallic taste in the mouth and vitamin or mineral deficiency try some multivitamin tabs for a few days and see if it improves?

I'll try it. Thanks.

No and yes.

On another forum i was suggested this (by someone who i don't think is a dentist)

"Depending on the location/size of the filling and the bonding agents used could explain this. If there is an overfill in a certain area or a small/missed gap when filling the tooth it could leak the taste gradually/constantly giving the bad taste in your mouth.

Best thing to do is go back to the dentist, explain everything to them and kindly ask if they can remove the filling and temporize it/fill it with another material to see if that helps."

It seems bonkers to me to just ask for the filling to be replaced just in case, even after the dentist checked three times and didn't find any problem... am i right to assume that's not a great suggestion?

Is it actually possible for stuff like overfilling, or gaps leaking material to happen on a regular filling? And to cause taste and stuff?

Last edited:
I can't see any way that this could happen. If there was a significant area of bonding failure you'd get symptoms from the tooth, see all the many posts on here about it :)
Composite fillings don't have a taste when they're set, they are completely inert, so there's nothing I can think of where unpolymerised composite will be available for you to taste it, if the filling wasn't completely polymerised at the end then you'd have more symptoms than just the taste...

I can't see any way that this could happen. If there was a significant area of bonding failure you'd get symptoms from the tooth, see all the many posts on here about it :)
Composite fillings don't have a taste when they're set, they are completely inert, so there's nothing I can think of where unpolymerised composite will be available for you to taste it, if the filling wasn't completely polymerised at the end then you'd have more symptoms than just the taste...
Thanks for the answer!

Also if i may, two other questions (i know, i'm over obsessing)

1. is it normal for my front teeth to be a bit jagged on the edges (some of the canine seem to have a slight irregular shape, and some of the front front teeth have what i think is bits of chipping?)? It is something that i always noticed but my dentist never brought it up as a problem... I assume that's sort of normal for someone like me who didn't go to the dentist in 20 years, and they don't look awful. Just... like... is that somethign that will bring problems in future (like cavities getting bigger) or is it just a visual thing?

photo for reference:
2. Do my teeth allign correctly from these photos: One of my biggest fears is that this taste has something to deal with teeth shifting out of allignment, which my dentist told me is impossible. But the only person with my same problem i found by googling, was a guy on reddit who, when contacted, told me his problem ended up being because of a bad bite adjustment that made his tooth overcrowd. It is probably unrelated to my problem... but someone looking at my allignment would calm me down a bit...

Thanks again for your patience, i sort of feel like i'm pestering you, but honestly it helps a ton to get answers to all the worst anxiety thought that i get lately, when dealing with this taste problem.

3. You mentioned before that nerve damage isn't likely as the nerves that regulate tastes aren't near the molars/roof of mouth. Is this the same for dry mouth? I'm also having an on and off dry mouth with this taste, and i am very paranoid about it being nerve damage...

At this point i have about 10 fillings in my mouth, plus 5 other "watched" spots, all around my back teeth, and i'm only 26... and sometimes i feel very hopeless about the state of my teeth, just thinking on all the money and time i'll have to spend when the fillings fails, and i'll have a bunch of root canals... and then when the crown fails and... who knows... early dentures? :\ Having not gone to the dentist for the first 23 years of my life because of my anxiety, and almost not brushed my teeth at all for that time, because of me being really dumb, is something that i'll always regret... it's really difficult thinking that my teeth ever "being ok" with all the wear, decay and fillings that they have currently...

Last edited:
Top photo: those are the remainders of an anatomical feature on teeth called mamelons, i.e. they're perfectly normal and not an issue. They gradually wear down as we get older. Google will probably throw up some more info if you really want to know.

Second question, you can't really tell from a photo, it's a 3D thing, but I don't see anything grossly wrong and the guy from Reddit is talking out his backside :)

Third question same answer, different nerves supply the saliva glands. You also have 3 sets of major glands as well as numerous minor ones, all with different nerve supplies, it's a bit of a stretch to see how they could all be damaged. It's more likely to be some kind of hormonal disturbance...

However the dry mouth is a massive clue about your disturbed taste. Wish you'd mentioned it earlier... it's not anything serious but decreased saliva flow would lead to some taste issues.

I have fillings which are twice your age, they don't just self destruct you know.

Given your history, the fact that you only have 10 fillings would suggest that your diet is fundamentally OK and that you have some resistance to dental disease, so maybe time to be a bit more positive about your mouth?

Top photo: those are the remainders of an anatomical feature on teeth called mamelons, i.e. they're perfectly normal and not an issue. They gradually wear down as we get older. Google will probably throw up some more info if you really want to know.

Second question, you can't really tell from a photo, it's a 3D thing, but I don't see anything grossly wrong and the guy from Reddit is talking out his backside :)

Third question same answer, different nerves supply the saliva glands. You also have 3 sets of major glands as well as numerous minor ones, all with different nerve supplies, it's a bit of a stretch to see how they could all be damaged. It's more likely to be some kind of hormonal disturbance...

However the dry mouth is a massive clue about your disturbed taste. Wish you'd mentioned it earlier... it's not anything serious but decreased saliva flow would lead to some taste issues.

I have fillings which are twice your age, they don't just self destruct you know.

Given your history, the fact that you only have 10 fillings would suggest that your diet is fundamentally OK and that you have some resistance to dental disease, so maybe time to be a bit more positive about your mouth?
Regarding the dry mouth, i have developed it after the filling and after the taste started. It's odd, neither the GP nor the dentist have been helpful so far in determining what's happening.

It's really odd, but i guess i just need to keep visiting doctors until one of them manages to figure it out (having to go back to the dentist will be a sore tho if the gp can't figure it out...).

Anyhow, thanks a lot for the help! I've been having really big bouts of anxiety about this thing, this week, and it has helped a lot being able to ask questions and get clear answers!

Back