• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

The different between traditional syringe and computer assisted syringe

J

Jane Dorothy

Hi, I'd gonna get a filling done in my lower right 2nd molar soon and I am quite scared about it and hence the dentist suggested LA. My dental office offer a computer assisted LA called Calajec, wonder if it is painful. My dentist also said that my decay is quite deep and close to the nerve, is it okay if I don't get any LA Ffor that?

Why would you not want LA? Computer assisted local generally uses a small pump system to inject the LA solution, the idea is that the computer can deliver the solution much more slowly than a human can do it, so it's less likely to be painful for the patient.

Why would you not want LA? Computer assisted local generally uses a small pump system to inject the LA solution, the idea is that the computer can deliver the solution much more slowly than a human can do it, so it's less likely to be painful for the patient.
So it's better do with LA if my decay is deep?

I had a injection similar to the LA, and it was wonderful (amor at least as wonderful as a injection can be).

It’s always better to do it with LA. Without LA, you will definitely feel pain with drilling if the decay is deep. The LA will numb the tooth so that you are comfortable throughout the procedure. A filling can be done painlessly without LA if the decay is not too deep but if the dentist is recommending LA I would take their word for it that you probably need it.

Statistically, fillings done with LA last a lot longer than ones done without LA, presumably because dentists don't actually like hurting people so will tend to not get all the decay out...

With anesthesia you may have a limited amount of pain. This pain is of short duration and fixed so that when it's over there is no more pain no need for anxiety about pain. This knowledge then may allow you to relax and now your dentist may focus on all the fine details of treating your tooth and not be distracted by your suffering and movements. If you need more than 1 injection then take it and be relaxed. All of us want you comfortable.

So it's better do with LA if my decay is deep?
Yes. First of all, it will make your experience much better and as Gordon stated, it easier for a dentist to work when the patient is relaxed and pain free (believe or not, dentists don’t like to cause pain).
Jane Dorothy, May I enquirer: what is exactly you find difficult with LA? That it would be painful, you can not bare the idea nor the sight of a needle, the needle insertion in the tissue? If you guide us a bit it will help us to provide you with relevant information.

Yes. First of all, it will make your experience much better and as Gordon stated, it easier for a dentist to work when the patient is relaxed and pain free (believe or not, dentists don’t like to cause pain).
Jane Dorothy, May I enquirer: what is exactly you find difficult with LA? That it would be painful, you can not bare the idea nor the sight of a needle, the needle insertion in the tissue? If you guide us a bit it will help us to provide you with relevant information.
I am in the fear of the needle going in my gums where I feel all the pressure :(

I am in the fear of the needle going in my gums where I feel all the pressure :(
So if you don’t see the needle and don’t feel the needle, would that help?
Did you ever feel dizziness or even fainted when a needle was present near you?

So if you don’t see the needle and don’t feel the needle, would that help?
Did you ever feel dizziness or even fainted when a needle was present near you?
Yes if I don't see and don't feel, that'd definitely work!! I won't faint by looking at needle but just that my heart will race.

Fare enough, sounds doable. Please say that using the exact wording when you talk with your dentist.
I suggest you watch my video about fear of pain. I think it can really help you.

Back