• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

the lower mandibular block injections/sedation.

C

Chris1986UK

Hi All,

Sorry for all the questions.

I’m asking this question for my girlfriend, as she had a bad experience this week. She was due root canal treatment and received the above injections and one either side of the tooth in question.

She said the injections hurt that much she had tears streaming down her face and was squirming in the chair flinching and moving around.

Are these lower nerve block injections and around the tooth really meant to be that kind of painful? She said she couldn’t hold still and panicked because the pain was that intense on all of them. That sort of shocked me a fair bit as I’ve overcome the worst of my phobia, but this ‘horror story’ made me overthink massively over the last three days.

The dentist mentioned about sedation for the next time. My partner suffers with massive anxiety and other mental health conditions on top of her dread/fear of dental treatment.

Is sedation something that is generally a good idea for patients like that? She still has round 2 and the crown to go and I am almost worried for her and her safety. I don’t like the thought of her being in that much pain and she is really traumatised by how much it hurt. I just could never have imagined it hurting that bad. I’ve had fairly good experiences since overcoming my phobia.

Thank you in advance for reading!
Chris

Pain is a really odd phenomenon and poorly understood.

Injections are not supposed to hurt that much, but sometimes if the person is totally tensed up and expecting pain then the sensations are hugely intensified.

Sounds like sedation would help a lot for your better half.

There's a whole lot of reasons as to why injections may be painful. While there may be a small element of expectation of pain involved, I suspect that technique is a way bigger factor. It's not a coincidence that some dentists get consistently good reviews for their painless injections, while others don't. Have a look at this page which explains in much more detail:

Thank you very much. I thought as much, as our 11 year old daughter had the injections a few weeks ago and didn’t react anywhere near as much as that.
We’ll ask for the sedation.

There's a whole lot of reasons as to why injections may be painful. While there may be a small element of expectation of pain involved, I suspect that technique is a way bigger factor. It's not a coincidence that some dentists get consistently good reviews for their painless injections, while others don't. Have a look at this page which explains in much more detail:

Thank you very much. I’ll look at that in depth. In our case the dentist may not be the issue as our daughter recently had an extraction and described the experience as ‘cool’ and she wants to try again. She found the injections mildly painful, but I coach sll my children in positive visualisation. I grew up in Germany where numbing injections were often just not used and back then the dentist would more or less just do what they needed to do even if you were in pain. That’s where my own phobia originated from.
Seeing my partner like that was just quite upsetting, as I’ve watched her give childbirth before and she was far less traumatised believe it or not.
I think sedation sounds like the best option. ?

Back