• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Throbbing pain - - worried

• Thread starter Scootsmagoots86
  • Start date
S

Scootsmagoots86

Hey everyone,

I got my 4 wisdom teeth removed last Tuesday morning (5 days ago), three of them were impacted. Everything went great but I’m still dealing with a good deal of pain from the sockets and I’m worried something is going wrong. But I’m also an anxious worrier. Is it normal for the pain to still be this high after 5 days? I’m a 32 yo male. The pain is also radiating up my face and giving me some pressure headaches including pressure in my sinuses. Though I don’t have any feeling of liquid or air moving into my sinuses such as sinus communication. Is this all normal?

I have a follow up with my OS this coming Thursday.

Thanks
scoots

Oh yes, Day 5. The peak of misery.

Thank goodness you you have an appointment on Tuesday.

If the pain gets too bad I suppose you could go to he emergency room

Otherwise I think you’re going to be okay.

My advice: if you can try to eat increasing amounts of solid food.

But definitely keep us posted.

Good luck.

Oh I wish it was on Tuesday - it would set my mind at ease that much sooner - it’s not until Thursday though. I think I have a lot of anxiety over going back to work on Tuesday though and suffering through the week in pain. I’m a bit of a baby like that - and after a week off where I can rest and lounge around the house to recover, sitting at a desk and conversing with colleagues while dealing with jaw pain sounds like an uphill battle.

I will definitely keep people posted on my progress, here’s hoping it’s just regular pain dealing with recovery and not any underlying issues like sinus communication

scoots

Can you call tomorrow and see if there have been any cancels? and Tuesday? I work for a Dr's office in scheduling and there are cancels almost everyday. Its hard to keep tract and call everyone back but the people who do call sometimes get in sooner.. worth a chance? hope you don't have to suffer too much longer

Thanks for the idea! I did but unfortunately he was booked up still. Oh well.
The pain is slightly less today which I’m very thankful for and I was able to eat some solids which was great. It did hurt while I was eating but it passed once I had rinsed my mouth with the salt water.

Hey folks,
I’m on day 8 now and still feeling a throbbing pain in my bottom left extraction site - I would probably rate it a 4/10 - I should note I haven’t taken any Advil yet because I forgot them at work so I will when I get there. But is this normal? I don’t think it’s an infection because I’m on antibiotics (finished my last pill last night) and I’m not convinced it’s dry socket because it’s not excruciating unless it’s just the beginnings of dry socket?

I have my follow up tomorrow which will be great but I’m just getting so tired of feeling throbbing pain, and I want to be able to eat normal food again. Last night I had a normal dinner of rice and grilled veggies and I spent 30 minutes cleaning rice out of my extraction holes. It just kept coming out! Needless to say I won’t be eating rice again while I’m healing.

Any advice or words of comfort would be greatly appreciated :)

Hmmm. Have you been irrigating?

Have you been following all the I instructions more or less to the letter?

You betcha, I’m too much of a worry wart not to. I irritate after every meal and won’t stop until I get a full syringe of water with no food particles.

Hmmm. Have you been irrigating?

Have you been following all the I instructions more or less to the letter?

Gotcha.

Yeah throbbing pain at day 8 seems on the far-ish end of the bell curve.

Heres what you do:

1. Right now decide what pain level in the next 24 hours will make you go to the emergency room.

2. Short of that, or other disaster, tough it out until tomorrow’s appointment.

I think you you will be okay. It may well suck at times, but you will make it.

Oh it’s definitly not emergency room worthy - today it actually hasn’t been that bad. I’ve only taken Advil once and the pain has been very minimal. It’s a low throb, 2/10 on the pain scale. This morning it was like a 4.5-5/10 probably. I’ll get it all figured out tomorrow and post so people can see what the result of all this pain is from. Thanks so much for all the support on here though, sometimes it’s nice just to be heard and get a reassuring word or two to help you through the day :)

There you go. That’s the spirit. You’ve got this.

We are looking forward to your update tomorrow.

Well just got out of my appointment - he packed the bottom sockets with the clove stuff used for dry socket. I feel like he didn’t really take a look to see if that’s what it was more so just packed the stuff in there. I also asked him about the pressure I’m feeling behind my nose but he didn’t seem too concerned about that. Maybe it’s just a tmj related thing. I’ll keep an eye on it.

The pain has significantly decreased to a small small small almost shadow of an amount of what it was before. When he cleaned out the socket prior to putting in the clove packing I got a huge zap of pain so I guess it was dry socket.

So a question for those of you who have dealt with dry socket before or know about it: will it be healed over by next week when I go back to be taken out? I guess if it isn’t he will just put in more haha.

Anyway that’s it for now

Scott

How did your appt go today? Hope things are looking up or you are getting some answers .

I posted a little update just above your message. But I was good...I think haha. The pain is drastically reduced already - though reading most sites about dry socket they say the dressing needs to be replaced every 24-48 hours - my dentist told me to come back in next week so I’m seeing him next Wednesday so he can clean the site. I’m worried this dressing will fall out before then and I’ll be back in pain.

Oh Good ... sounds a bit better and heres to hoping that dressing stays in for a while and does its job to make things better :)

Well that was short lived. The dressing came out after I drank a glass of water this evening. The thing is, the surgeon said it was only put in to limit the pain but the dull aching I’ve been having has been slowly fading as it is, so maybe I just keep taking Advil and let it heal?

Well I decided to go back to my OS this morning and when he asked me how my pain level was I told him at worst it was a 4/10 and could be relieved with Advil. So he seemed unconcerned about repacking my bottom extraction where the dressing fell out. He said it will heal over on its own and would actually heal faster if nothing is in there disrupting it. So we opted to not repack it and I have a follow up next Wednesday to remove the other dressing still in there.

He also mentioned that because the pain level is at a 4/10 that’s good news because it means the tissue is healing over the bone and nerves, which was a relief for me because I was concerned it might get worse haha.

Back