• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

TMD/TMJ or RCT?

  • Thread starter Thread starter jrasero
  • Start date Start date
J

jrasero

Junior member
Joined
Apr 8, 2015
Messages
1
About 7 days ago started to get sensitivity to cold and very hot liquids or foods on my upper left molar. 8 months ago had deep filling done. Can chew and bite without pain. Went to doctor yesterday 4/7 and she took X-Ray: no decay, crack, or infection. Examined filling: fine. No swelling of gums or discolored tooth. Tapped and blew air on tooth and had mild/brief sensation. Did Endo Ice test and surprisingly felt little to nothing. I mentioned my gum on that tooth is particularly receded and asked if it could be root exposure and she said no. She seemed more inclined to believe it was grinding my teeth. Told me to wear mouth guard, gave me Prevident, 800 MG Motrin. She said to monitor it but tooth might need root canal.


Today 4/8. Wore mouth guard previous night and teeth felt normal. But have mild and non consistent left ear ache. Also after using the Prevident and Sensodyne this morning the tooth isn't as sensitive.


Do you think I have TMJ/TMD and the tooth is just hurting from grinding or will I need RCT because only one tooth has symptoms and has ominous heat sensitivity? Also, while my Dr. dismissed exposed root theory I have my doubts.
 

Attachments

  • IMG_0406.jpg
    IMG_0406.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 29
Hi, very interested to read your comments. I too have pain on a premolar tooth. Mine is sensitive to cold and helped by drinking warm tea. I went to the Dentist, who poked around and took X-rays. Told me no problems at all, and that I just had a sensitive tooth. Well 2 weeks later I have a low ache still, with a heavy feeling jaw joint and pins and needles in my cheekbones. Am taking Ibuprofen to help with pain, although weirdly, pain goes by late evening, and does not bother me all night. Hope you get your sorted out. I think I will have to go back even though Dentist insists there are no problems. Do let me know how you get on.
 
That last tooth has a lot of recession and I wouldn't be surprised that it is soo sensitive. Have you had that long?
The recession is permanent now and the gum isn't going to grow back to cover that up so the only thing you can do is try a sensitive toothpaste like Sensodyne.
The nerve may actually die off and you may require root canal treatment.

With regards to your pins and needles to the jaw, your night guard may make it worse!!! If this hasn't be constructed properly then you actually grind more!
 
Hi,

If I had to put my money on something, I would suspect that a root canal treatment should be the right treatment.
My suggestion is to get a second opinion.
 
Back
Top