• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Too young. But out of options. Any young people in the same boat?

• Thread starter certainlyuncertain
  • Start date
C

certainlyuncertain

I suppose I'm just looking for some support here. There is only one person in my life who knows
whats going on and only because he was witness to a horrible infection of one of my teeth
last year.
I've delt with bad teeth my whole life, for alot of different reasons. And now I'm to the point where drastic
measures need to be taken.
I'm only 26 and seriously considering partial dentures for my bottom side and back teeth. I've read the
arguments and I know the popular belief of "save the teeth at all costs". But trust me when I say, these teeth
are beyond saving. Beyond repair. And the mention of cost is tricky, as cost is one of the main reasons I've
gotten to where I am now. Implants would be an option if it were financially possible. But as a single parent
struggling to make ends meat as it is, implants are simply out of the question.
I hate that I am so young and having to consider this route, but I want my life back. Just simply eating, drinking
smiling like a normal person.
And with the research I've done thus far, the partial dentures seem all the way around, a decent way to go.
Are there any other people my age looking into doing the same? Any info from people who have had them
done and what I should expect?
Would really appreciate some words of support on this. My mouth is by far my biggest source of insecurity
and anxiety. And I'd just like to find some form of relief with the topic.

*hops in the boat* room for one more?

i'm 25(technically 25 and a half in 2 weeks) and am starting my journey to top and bottom partials pretty soon.

I got a cleaning next week and that's getting done under laughing gas and valium(according to mom i'll be as high as a kite w/o a care and probably won't remember any of it. I hope she's right!), then molds either a few hours later or the next week(will see what happens) then I get 15 extractions and 2 fillings(I heard i'm supposed to be getting valium, gas, AND local numbing. that BETTER work!) then I get my partials and the extractions, filling, AND getting the partials are most likely all in the same day
Fun, fun, freaking fun. :frantic::frantic::terror::terror:

I was a teeth grinder when I was younger PLUS I've got bad genetics so I got a double whammy of issues.

at least mom let me do a lego shop order for some stuff now to keep me busy after the extractions and fillings.

Last edited:
Me personally I'm not in the same boat but my fiance was. He is only 25 and he just had all his teeth out and got dentures. He didnt want to deal with the pain from his teeth anymore and they were making him sick. Hes gained weight back and his heart stopped doing this weird heartbeat skip thing it would do. Basically do whatever you think is right. If you're in pain and dont think its worth it then get the partials. He said he is so glad that he had his taken out and that the dentures are amazing and no one can even tell they arent his real teeth! Ive personally had teeth pulled just because i couldnt afford the treatment to save them and honestly im glad i did because now i dont even have to worry about them ever causing pain anymore. so just do what you think is right and weight the pros and cons. :) hope that helped :)

Thank you both immensely for your responses =)

They are both incredibly helpful. It's certainly nice to know (although a crappy situation for the
both of us) that there's others out there dealing with the same dilemma. And having to make the
same difficult choice. As I said, we are too young. But out of options. And being in pain constantly
is just no way to live your life. I wish you luck gamergirl!

And thank you cinders for responding as well! Its really reassuring to hear from someone on the
other side of things. I have to admit, I havent even told my boyfriend about what I'm contemplating.
Though I know I should give him credit for being an understanding person, it still makes me incredibly
nervous. I really cannot say for a fact what his reaction will be and it scares me. I know I shouldnt
be with someone if they would leave me for something as stupid as vanity..But lets face it, everyones
capacity for understanding has its limits. And I honestly have yet to guage his.

That being said, bottom line, I know I need to do this for myself. I'm doing far worse to my health with
all the self medicating to manage pain. Than it would take to just solve the problem all together.
Eventually the bandaid I'm sticking on the situation isnt going to work anymore. So I'm going to see
about getting in for an appointment this next week and go from there. Crossing my fingers everything
falls into place =)

Well Good Luck!!! Hope everything turns out the best for ya! And yeah you're right. He will probably be supportive because it's better to not be in pain! Plus... I'm kind of jealous of my man's teeth haha. They are all straight, white, and perfect. :) But you are definitely right! You need to do it for yourself. Good Luck!! :)

thanks

I have a journal going on the journal thread actually and the weird thing is that i'm not even in any pain.

Can't wait for the DONE part but not the actual event. In less then 43ish hours, round one will be(HOPEFULLY) done plus a possibility of the molds being made a couple hours past that pending how i'm feeling. All I can say is "i'll probably now know how it feels to be drunk!" With a strong valium AND laughing gas on board, PLUS a possibility of local numbing with the deep cleaning(UGH!), that will be a fun experience. :hic: :hic: :hic: :hic:

About the only motive I have to go through with the second part is A) the lego shop order mom let me do that I can have only AFTER the second part(2 lego movie sets, 2 technic sets, lego friend animals series 4, a Pick a brick order, plus free polybag as part of the promo so I should be set for a while) and B) I want this crap DONE b4 our vacation out of state later on this year and a Vacation = LEGO STORE for the first time ages. :party: :party: :party: :party:

It's currently been 2 years and 13 days since my last trip due to there being no lego stores around here :mad::mad::mad::mad:!!!

*sigh* tomorrow is going to just drag on and on. At least i'm getting to eat at my favorite pizza place for lunch plus i'm planning on doing mini bowling there and the new RuPaul's drag race episode comes on tomorrow night.

Hey im kinda going through the same thing we could chat if you would like I could do with sharing with someone going through the same. Im 25 and I could give you my email addy if you like. Hope your ok!
claire

Hi;

Although not in the same position, I'm 27 and wanted to wish you all the best of luck. I hope you all find a dentist who understands and that you all have beautiful smiles at the end of it all x

Got the deep cleaning done one day and molds the next. That'll be to weeks ago Tuesday/Wednesday. Haven't heard anything back from them yet but not really complaining since i'm currently still trying to mentally prepare myself for it.

once the valium and laughing gas and numbing really kicked in for the D.C.'ing, it was nice. I actually slept for about an hour and a quarter during the work. Odd thing is that the valium didn't effect me that long. didn't kick in until the laughing gas and actually I think the gas did more to help. REALLY??? I mean seriously, except for a little light headed feeling right after starting to get up when I was finally done and being a tiny bit tired for the afternoon, I was fine in no time after leaving.

didn't need anything for the molds and had to do a bite into putty stuff and then 1 mold with his assistants, then he came in for a final count(apparently something changed since he was talking about 3 fillings, didn't think to ask about that but hopefully that means it'll be 14 extractions and not 15) of teeth for his notes, then another round of molds. so freaking GROSS and I still don't know how I didn't lose part of one of my teeth that are in bad shape.