• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth ach solutions?

K

KylalaKitty

So I'm afraid to said anything to my dentist at the moment. I have a tooth ache and I don't want to say anything yet because I'm afraid my only options are root canals or extraction. Is there really not a 3rd option (other than taking pain pills forever)? It does have a filling in it. Could that be the problem?

Hi,

It is impossible to answer without a proper diagnose. There are many options but they are good for temporary relieve.
A question: let's say you tell your dentist and he says that it has to be either a root canal treatment or an extraction, do you have to do it? I mean, there is a difference between hearing bad news and actually going through the treatment.
If you trust your dentist, just sharing with each other information should not be an issue.

So I'm afraid to said anything to my dentist at the moment. I have a tooth ache and I don't want to say anything yet because I'm afraid my only options are root canals or extraction. Is there really not a 3rd option (other than taking pain pills forever)? It does have a filling in it. Could that be the problem?

It could be a cavity but often times cavities don't hurt until they are very deep, which can lead to root canal. It can be that the tooth has cracked, which sometimes can be repaired with a crown.
There really are no solutions other than having the cause diagnosed and dealt with. Sure there are home remedies and over the counter pain pills but eventually the pain gets so bad that nothing works. It's really better to deal with it before it turns to agony.

Back