• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth clicks constantly

A

AB2008

Hi all.

I’m having an issue with one of my teeth on the right side of my mouth.

The last time I went to the dentist about 9 months ago, I was told I had mild gum disease and needed a few fillings.

They did a clean and told me to floss and brush daily which I’ve been doing however over the past few weeks the 4th tooth from my front one on the right seems to make a clicking noise constantly when I run my tongue along it or when I run my finger along the bottom of it.

I cannot wiggle it with my fingers and it doesn’t appear loose but I’m causing myself so much stress and worry about it and can’t seem to stop clicking it.

I briefly had an issue with another one that did this months ago and told my dentist who didn’t have a clue what I was talking about and just said slight movement is normal however this one is just constant clicking.

It stops for a little bit after I brush or floss and then starts again about an hour later.

Please can somebody advise what this may be? I have an appointment with my dentist in November but I’m worried my tooth will fall out before then.

Thank you so much!

1) Your tooth won't fall out in 3 months if it's not noticeably loose already
2) Not sure what the clicking noise is, but my best guess is that there's a tight contact between your 2 teeth and when you move the tooth (they're designed to move slightly in use) then you momentarily free that contact and it makes a slight noise.

Thank you Gordon.

When I run my tongue along the back of the tooth and the ones next to it it feels like there’s a big gap between them but is not noticeable when I floss.

I’m currently sat here and it sometimes feels like when I speak they shift in my mouth and I’m honestly terrified!

Hi,

Allow me to hypothesize what the sound is: the teeth are embedded in the bone, but not in a direct way, meaning the root of a tooth is actually covered by a thin layer of liquid (called claviclular fluid). When the tooth (root) is moving within this fluid, small vacuums are created and popped, giving a sensation of a click or a sound.

Hiya, thank you for replying.

Is this an issue I should be worried about?

I’ve woken up this morning and it is just constant every time I swallow and move or eat anything.

Will the teeth become loose because of the fluid?

If I am correct about the reason to what you are feeling, there is nothing to worry about.

@Dr. Daniel I’m currently dealing with this with at least 4 of my teeth. It didn’t seem to start until I started flossing regularly (some dental scares shook me so I’m making sure to do everything right). My anxiety is through the roof because of this. Do you know what could be the cause and solution to stopping it?

I have this sensation in a few of my teeth ever since I started flossing for the first time about 2 months ago. Its usually worse after eating. Its normally just a feeling but sometimes its actually audible, so much so that my girlfriend could hear it when she got close enough. I went to my dentist and he said he had no idea what I was talking about and dismissed it as something that wasnt serious. But it is driving me insane, is there any way to make it go away. Or will it naturally go away by itself?

Not sure what the clicking noise is, but my best guess is that there's a tight contact between your 2 teeth and when you move the tooth (they're designed to move slightly in use) then you momentarily free that contact and it makes a slight noise.

Allow me to hypothesize what the sound is: the teeth are embedded in the bone, but not in a direct way, meaning the root of a tooth is actually covered by a thin layer of liquid (called claviclular fluid). When the tooth (root) is moving within this fluid, small vacuums are created and popped, giving a sensation of a click or a sound.

There are two best guesses by dentists here, both of which sound plausible…

(P.S. not sure if the recent posts are actually related to a fear of the dentist/dental procedures? Please do not register and post on this forum unless you actually suffer with dental phobia or fear)

Back