• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth different shade/colour. Dying/dead? Enamel wear?

M

Matt R73

So i started back at the dentist just over 2 years ago after not going for 12+ years. Between Aug 2016 and May 2017 i had a filling, a filling replaced and four extractions. All that was left was a cleaning but i didn't go back. I didn't go back because the dentist did something that ended me up at the emergency dentist and really set my phobia back off full force.

Anyway i think this tooth has been like this for a while. I 1st thought it was stained as i smoke but it's not. As the title, does it look like it's dying/dead or enamel wear? The tooth has no visible decay. Sorry for the unclean teeth. Wish i'd got through the clean and my fear had not set back in!

Thanks for any help.

Matt

Attachments

• 20180914_125130-2-1.jpg
    20180914_125130-2-1.jpg
    427.8 KB · Views: 72
  • 20180914_125130-1-1-1.jpg
    20180914_125130-1-1-1.jpg
    122.4 KB · Views: 68
Really hard to be sure, but it looks like the enamel is a bit thinner on that tooth which is letting you see more of the yellowish dentine underneath.
It could well just be the natural structure of that tooth, so nothing to worry about.

You don't like a lot of acid foods/drinks like lemon juice or stuff though, do you?

Really hard to be sure, but it looks like the enamel is a bit thinner on that tooth which is letting you see more of the yellowish dentine underneath.
It could well just be the natural structure of that tooth, so nothing to worry about.

You don't like a lot of acid foods/drinks like lemon juice or stuff though, do you?

Hi Gordon, Thanks so much for taking the time to reply.

I do eat a lot of lemon and sweet and sour chicken. I also eat about 6 Activia's a day, but do buy the no added sugar ones. I don't drink fizzy stuff, just water.

After i started to get my teeth sorted i bought an electric toothbrush and started to brush 3 times a day (i did always brush twice a day manually).

I really need to find a new dentist and get this cleaning done as i can get the fronts and backs of my teeth clean, but it's well over 12 years since my last and being a smoker it's hard cleaning the stains from between them.

Gordon you don't have any contacts in East Sussex do you? A bit of a longshot, but thought i'd ask.

Last edited:
Make sure you're not brushing your teeth within 20 minutes of eating something acid, the acid softens the enamel a bit and then the brush will remove a bit more of it that you'd like.

Sorry, I don't have any contacts in that part of the world.

Make sure you're not brushing your teeth within 20 minutes of eating something acid, the acid softens the enamel a bit and then the brush will remove a bit more of it that you'd like.

Sorry, I don't have any contacts in that part of the world.

Gordon, Thanks for the reply. I will make sure i leave plenty of time after eating before brushing.

Back