• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth extracted 2 days ago. Sore with foul smell!

T

Terryfied

Sorry to be graphic! Had a difficult extraction of a decayed previous root canal tooth. It broke and I had to have some bone cut to get all the roots out. It was even sore whilst having it done with a local anaesthetic.

Ive been in pain since it happened. The area is red, swollen and white stuff is covering the cavity and the gum surrounding. I've had a horrid taste in my mouth all day and it smells aweful.

Is this dry socket? Or infection? Surely this can't be normal?

Thanks!

After agony and a trip to an emergency dentist, I have an infected dry socket!
I now fear dentists even more!!!

I'm so sorry, this sounds awful.

I have to have a broken tooth extracted on monday, now I am even more scared :(

Terryfied: Trying to keep on on the positive side, you was brave enough to go back and get the problem seen to - most people would have sat suffering rather than go back, so give yourself a huge amount of credit there :) Dry socket is a simple enough thing to fix fortunately... and is short lived if you follow the dentists advice on how to clean and take care of it properly. If you've been given antibiotics don't skip any or finish the course early, even if it appears to have healed and take some suitable at home pain relief for it. I hope you're feeling better very soon at any rate. The worst part should be over now *hugs*

Sophsterlicious: Admittedly getting a tooth extracted isn't the most pleasant of thoughts, but it does beat the alternative of just leaving it to get worse and suffer through bouts of infection at random intervals. If you're super nervous, take a family member or friend along with you and above all talk to your dentist about it... it's their job to get it right and put their patients at ease, and if you're nervous or scared they can't help you if you don't tell them. Similarly if something doesn't feel 'right' speak up! It's your mouth and your right to ask for more anesthetic, breaks during treatment and to question things etc so please do so - that way you're in complete control of the situation :) As it's only one tooth which needs to be removed, it'll be over and done with in no time, I promise. The worst part is thinking about it and waiting for it to be done. You'll be so proud of yourself afterward, I know it!!

~ Binkey xx

Back