• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth Extraction and Root Planing in the same appointment?

J

JustMe1972

So a little backstory, in December my teeth decided to rebel on me. After going 46 years without a filling, or any issues. I suddenly needed a root canal, and one of my bottom molars extracted due to bone loss. We started everything with a cleaning and then a follow-up appointment in the month for root planing. During the in-between I had the root canal done, but because of the holidays, the extraction got pushed. When I was in last week getting my permanent filling (in my root canal tooth), I stopped to make an appointment for the tooth extraction hoping I could get it done before my 24th root planing visit. The secretary said I could double up and come in for my root planing at 10, then pop over to the dentist for my tooth extraction and be all done in an hour.

I was a bit confused and kept saying I had to see the hygienist for a ROOT PLANING, but she said it would be no problem. But from everything I read the hygienist needs to give you a local to numb you for a root planing. So how is that going to work if I need to go and get a tooth extracted which will also require numbing? Is root planing not painful? Does the numbing gel work fine?? I am super nervous and confused at this point.

Thanks in advance!

I believe they only numb your gum for the root planning. I believe when I had one done they simply used numbing gel to do that. The numbing for the tooth extraction would be more localized to and around the tooth to extract.

Justme1972,

I have only gotten root planing and scaling done once , so not super experienced but I can say I was very scared and almost cancelled before thinking about it and it really turned out not to be bad at all. Now, my hygienist and dentist erred on the side of making sure I didn't feel a thing so shot me up with a bit of local , once I felt a little tiny bit , she immediately gave me more and I was already numb so didn't feel that at all. they gave me numbing gel before the shots so really I didn't feel anything and it wasn't painful.. I had myself pretty scared before I walked in though. Also I imagine they will make sure if you had shots before that they will either give you more or make sure you are numb in that area before proceeding to any extraction. It doesn't hurt to tell them you want to make sure you are numb enough for the extraction if you do it back to back . Hope it all goes well for you!

Thank you both! When I was poking around I kept reading that root planing was done with the same type of numbing as a tooth extraction (so something stronger than the numbing gel) which confused me with how they could do both in the same hour. If a numbing gel is generally what they use, then I can see how they can do both within the same hour.

Hi,

Numbing gel is usually used for general "normal" cleaning. Root planning however is deeper and sometimes performed with proper anaesthesia (not always, at least in The Netherlands).
It actually sounds like a good idea to numb both for the extraction and the cleaning as along as both treatments require the numbing of the same teeth. You don't want both sides of the lower jaw to be numbed, it extremely uncomfortable.

By the way, here is a video which you might find helpful, it's about fear of pain during a dental treatment.

Back