• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth extraction under GA four year old reflux child

R

rosielx

After waiting seven months to see a community dentist my son has been referred to the hospital for extraction under a general anaesthetic as he suffers from anxiety and is totally uncooperative. Dentist didn't see in his mouth as my son was very distressed. I've had to sign a consent forms saying they can remove any teeth :(. I'm not happy about this. I know he has cavities in two molars but don't know about top teeth. If there are any minor issues with the non molar teeth I'd really like them left alone to fall out naturally.

We have to hold my son down to brush his teeth. It's distressing for both of us but he won't let us clean them otherwise. We've tried mouth wash which sadly made him sick. He knows he has poorly teeth and understands the hospital will take them out as two dentists have been unable to treat him.

I'm gutted but also scared stiff. We have to wait two more months for the hospital extraction. After this he then reverts back to the care of our dentist who he sees every six months but won't always open his mouth for. There doesn't appear to be any help for parents with children who suffer from dental anxiety in Norfolk UK. The stress of this has actually made me ill as I have crohn's

Last edited:
Ah, that sounds like hell! Poor kid. Though with a caring parent like you, he's got a good chance of his phobia and anxiety getting better in time. And extractions are easy to recover from, especially for children who bounce back quicker than anyone else.

Not being a parent myself, I don't have any resources, but have you tried posting on any forums for mums? They might have some good advice and resources.

Take care of yourself too. And I know it's hard, but you're doing the right thing by dealing with his dental problems. A lot of parents would stop trying. You're obviously a great mother. :hug4:

Dear Rosielex,

Your Son is indeed in a very extreme situation. I hope things turn out netter in the future.
You mentioned the front teeth. The problem with milk front teeth is that with the current dental materials and technology, it is impossible to make a (good) white filling nor a root canal treatment. If your boy's teeth have deep cavities it is better to extract them under the GA than later on in an emergency appointment. If the cavities are superficial, there are ways to preserve the teeth.

All lly the best,

Thanks. His front teeth are perfect. We know he has cavities in his back premolars. I really feel like there's no help for him. I'm going to try and register him at another local dentist who is supposedly good with nervous children. He's already registered out our private dentist but they can't treat him. I've also emailed PALS and NHS England to see if any local hospitals offer behaviour therapy. I'm going to contact the health visitors next week and our doctor.

Back