• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Tooth to be pulled on Tuesday. Extremely scared.

W

woooried

I have to have an eye tooth removed on Tuesday because it got an abscess above it and I don't have the money to have a root canal. I am extremely embarrassed for one thing. But, I am more scared about how painful it will be. I am so afraid that they will not able to numb me properly. I am also scared that the infection won't drain out after the tooth is removed (is that common).

Someone tell me what it's like and should I really be this afraid?

Woooried,

First off.. it is completely normal to be worried and anxious about dental work and extractions.. I've had a lot of them and worried everytime .. alot.. its really an emotional thing and a physical thing too.. so give yourself alot of grace.. I can also say of all the teeth I've had pulled I never had an dry socket or had an infection come back. so I feel very fortunate. I think probably my guess there are alot more times the infection goes away rather than comes back. Have you had any issues getting numbed properly or just scared in general. Is this a dentist you know and trust? If you put it out there you want to make sure you are properly numb before they do anything and to test it. most dentist would really be careful with this.. If you tell them , I'm scared of it being painful,, then they will be more careful and reassure you.. If they seem hurried or not listening to you or you don't get a good feeling.. you have the right to refuse treatment and go to compassionate care.. you deserve it!

I'm just scared in general. Also, I don't have an option when it comes to the dentist that I see. Well. Oral surgeon in my case because he's the only one in my area that takes my insurance.

Also. They want me to have my wisdom teeth on the top extracted as well. And, I don't want that done as I am not having an issue with them even though they are impacted. I am more afraid of that because I am scared I will die from the stuff they put me to sleep with.

I'm afraid this guy will not pull the tooth I absolutely need pulled without me consenting to have my wizzies removed. Can they even do that?

I'm just scared in general. Also, I don't have an option when it comes to the dentist that I see. Well. Oral surgeon in my case because he's the only one in my area that takes my insurance.

Also. They want me to have my wisdom teeth on the top extracted as well. And, I don't want that done as I am not having an issue with them even though they are impacted. I am more afraid of that because I am scared I will die from the stuff they put me to sleep with.

I'm afraid this guy will not pull the tooth I absolutely need pulled without me consenting to have my wizzies removed. Can they even do that?

No they can't. Failure to obtain informed consent for a treatment is a crime and the dentist will be liable for medical malpractice.

Thank you. I need this one removed because it's infected and I don't want them giving me any BS about them not wanting to pull it if they don't pull the others too. So, I'm glad to hear that they legally cannot.

I'm already having enough anxiety when it comes to getting this one pulled. I'm freaking out.

I have to have an eye tooth removed on Tuesday because it got an abscess above it and I don't have the money to have a root canal. I am extremely embarrassed for one thing. But, I am more scared about how painful it will be. I am so afraid that they will not able to numb me properly. I am also scared that the infection won't drain out after the tooth is removed (is that common).

Someone tell me what it's like and should I really be this afraid?

I had a big molar extracted 3 weeks ago for I could not afford a root canal or crown. You do not feel a thing other than a tad bit of pressure. I had a tinge of pain but it was so fleeting and he gave me an extra shot to numb me. When it wears off you may feel discomfort on day 1 and maybe take some ibuprofen. Honestly it is not bad at all. You must be carful the first few days after so not to loose the blood clot so eat soft foods on the other side of mouth. The first 10 days you may not notice much healing then it quickly fills up with new tissue after that. It will take a few months for the new bone to grow.

when I had my one wisdom tooth taken out I had IV Sedation and I was scared I would die as well but the time went by super fast. Before I knew it I was awake and did not even realize I was under. BUT I still prefer being fully awake so I am aware of all around me

I'm starting to worry about the shot of novacaine (or lidocaine whichever it is) and the fact I have anxiety issues and it has epinephrine in it and I'm scared it's gonna throw me into a panic.

I"m not sure if they can do this for tooth pulls. but I do think there is at least one type of local anesthetic that does not have epinepherne in , it may be more short lived not last as long so not sure its exact purposes but maybe you could ask for this? if its possible?

Thanks.

I think my biggest fear though is since my tooth is broken on one side that they will opt for making me get it surgically extracted and like I said before. I am extremely afraid that I will never wake up from the GA. I have never been under before. I am not even sure if I am healthy enough to go under.

Thanks.

I think my biggest fear though is since my tooth is broken on one side that they will opt for making me get it surgically extracted and like I said before. I am extremely afraid that I will never wake up from the GA. I have never been under before. I am not even sure if I am healthy enough to go under.

Don't worry. They can propose treatment options but you can still choose whether or not to go through with it. Also, before going under general anaesthesia, you will need to have a pre-surgical evaluation where they will take your history. So if you are not well enough to undergo GA, you will not be allowed to undergo GA.

Looks like I have to reschedule anyways. I ended up in the ER overnight and just got home. Another bad panic attack. They checked me out for everything and I am according to them "perfectly healthy"

I had the doctor look at my gum/tooth and he didn't think it was that bad. Plus, scheduling wise this really wasn't the best time of the month because I don't have enough money to get Nitrous. And, I have to have it when I get dental work done.

Back