• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

two wiggly little bumps below my lower incisors

G

gapmouthgirl

i'm hoping a dentist can explain this to me:

all my life, as far as i can remember, i've had two little wiggly bumps on the interior surface of my lower jaw, directly below my front lower incisors. these bumps are just below where the roots of the teeth end, and are situated on the bottom part of the jaw bone, where the softer tissues begin. i quite often fiddle with these bumps with my tongue and they are a source of amusement, lol. there is never discomfort, and unless i fiddle with them with the tip of my tongue, i never feel them there. the bumps themselves feel hard, and are quite mobile, seem to be encased in very soft tissue.

but what are these bumps?? i once asked the hygenist at my daughter's dentist and she had no clue what i was talking about. she offered to take a look but that was before i started my dental journey and there was no way she was looking into my rotten mouth at the time!

any dentists here able to give me information on what these wiggly lil bumps are?

Exit of the Sublingual or Submandibular salivary gland ducts, that should give you enough to get Googling on :)

i did do a bit of googling last night after posting here. what i found is that if it was an issue with salivary ducts, there would be pain or irritation involved usually. these bumps have been around as long as i can remember and never get larger or smaller, and never become inflamed or sore. i have no issue with saliva in my mouth (never too little or too much) ever, except for the 'i've just come home from the dentist drool phase', lol.

so even though there is no pain, no swelling, no irritation, and the bumps have been the same for years and years, they are still blocked/calcified saliva ducts?

No, they're just the normal ducts, they look like little bumps all the time. Some folks' are more pronounced than others.

Back