• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Upcoming extraction/implant

M

Megab487

I have a tooth (#5) that had a root canal done 2.5 years ago. The tooth wasn’t broken or cracked when they did it. I’ve had a small painless bump on my gum above it the past couple weeks. I just saw a doc at my local Endodontics clinic, and he said he thinks it’s a fractured root in that tooth, and that it most likely needs to be pulled. They are going to call me Thursday after he has a consult with another dentist. He already told me they’d put me under IV sedation since they couldn’t get me numb for the root canal (which was agony), but I’m still so scared the implant will fail since my root canal did. I’m also worried the cost is going to be astronomical (my insurance pays 50% up to $1500 in the year). Do they place a temporary crown or something until I get the permanent implant down the road? I think I read somewhere that can be 6 months later due to healing.

I have had 3 implants now. I had two root canals and both failed. My implants have done great so far. I was told that root canals fail because infection is not completely gone, or re-enters. When they remove the tooth, they remove the source of infection.

As far as the process, it depends on the tooth. Both of my molars that were extracted had bone grafting done after extraction. Then I had to wait 4 months before the implant was put in. Then it was 4 more months to let the implants integrate with the bone. Then you can get the final crowns. With my front upper tooth, the surgeon extracted, did bone grafting and the implant all at the same appointment. Then I had a flipper I wore while waiting for the implant to integrate. I actually just had my torque test today for the front tooth and one of the molars to test it for integration. Next I get impressions and the crowns made. If your tooth will leave a gap that shows, you can get a flipper made that you will wear out right after your extraction. You won’t need one if it doesn’t show.

As far as cost, it is expensive. However, I did the math with mine, and after paying for a root canal and crown that failed (even with 50% covered up to $1500, same as your insurance), then getting a retreat or apicoectomy to try to save the tooth, I could have paid for an implant. Implants are not covered under my insurance. A root canal still cost me $1000, with half covered.

The implant cost will depend on whether or not you need much bone grafting. I had to have a lot of it for my front tooth and the total cost was around $3000. My molar was $2000.

Thank you very much for that! I hate how scared I am of it all. I just want it over with.

Thank you very much for that! I hate how scared I am of it all. I just want it over with.

I was exactly the same way! Honestly it was a relief when the tooth was extracted because it took all the uncertainty and fear of extraction out of the picture. Then I just had to go forward with it.
I think the extraction and implant procedure was much easier than the root canal procedure, at least for me.

I am happy to hear the extraction and implant went much easier for you than the root canal (that was awful for me). You’ve really helped, thank you!

Back