• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Upper back molar extraction advice please

N

Natalie.emery

Hi im due to have tooth removed upper back molar next to wisdom tooth. My anxiety is kicking in . This tooth causes me no pain however upon X-ray shows decay inside the hole tooth so no option to be removed. Im
worried about the adjacent teeth I e wisdom which is fully through and the next molar is basically all filling ! How will the dentist get this out without damaging them ? How long isit likely to take take it’s big tooth ??

Can it have a root canal to save it?

Can it have a root canal to save it?

They did suggest this but the tooth is at an angle but could be difficult and possibly fail .. root canal scares me to

Root canals aren’t that bad! I would try it to save the tooth or at least have a think about it? It is best to keep your teeth as long as possible if you are up to sitting in the dentist chair just a little longer! X

Root canals aren’t that bad! I would try it to save the tooth or at least have a think about it? It is best to keep your teeth as long as possible if you are up to sitting in the dentist chair just a little longer! X

I guess your right dentist seemed to shrug it off though saying extraction. How long does it take ?

If the tooth is structurally sound, a root canal could be a good option. How long it takes depends on the tooth and the dentist or endodontist performing the root canal. If the tooth is tilted or has curvy roots it might take two appointments. I had the upper back molar done and have curvy roots, and it took an hour the first appointment, and a half hour at the second appointment. The appointment itself isn't that bad at all...no worse than a filling.

If the tooth is structurally sound, a root canal could be a good option. How long it takes depends on the tooth and the dentist or endodontist performing the root canal. If the tooth is tilted or has curvy roots it might take two appointments. I had the upper back molar done and have curvy roots, and it took an hour the first appointment, and a half hour at the second appointment. The appointment itself isn't that bad at all...no worse than a filling.

Thanks for the advice the tooth is tilted yes I think im
Going to try and save it x

It’s just the dental dam that puts me off lol can you breathe im
not very good at breathing through my nose ?♀️

That bugged me, too. I actually opted for nitrous oxide at the first appointment because I was so nervous. Then I realized it wasn't so bad, so the next appointment I went without. I have an easy gag reflex and thought it would be worse than it was.

Breathing through your nose is a good thing, no matter if with dental dam or without - after all, if you don't have dental dam, you have a mouth full of water so at any case you have to use your nose. If breathing through your nose with mouth opened sounds difficult for you, it might be a good idea to train it at home.
I was afraid of the dental dam too, but it was more the sight of it and the getting it on process. I asked my dentist to let me know before he would start so that I could close my eyes for that part. I was surprised that the sensation itself wasn't that bad at all once it was placed and I was able to swallow and move my tongue however I wanted as the treatment happened behind the rubber dam and not really in my mouth.

I had a reroot canal today and one thing I was most scared of was the dental dam as I thought I’d gag! But it was honestly fine and I think it’s better that the water/chemicals werent splashing in my mouth! The root canal procedure was fine and I nearly fell asleep as was numbed up so well! I don’t know if it’s worked yet as it’s a troublesome tooth (and is sore tonight) but I would always always try a root canal as an option to extraction!

So glad it seemed to really go well for you!! Hope the healing if fine and you are feeling great again soon!! :).. I agree much rather try a root canal than extraction !

Back