• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Upper second molar extraction

J

Jules127

Hi!

So I’ve had a problematic upper second molar on the left since it has grown out. Basically it it grown to the side and does not touch my second molar on the bottom. Instead my upper second molar does not bite down on anything and has no impact on my chewing and just digs into my cheek. My upper first molar touches my second molar on the bottom and so my chewing ability isn’t really a bother to me.

I’ve had a few fillings done on it over the years but my dentist has recently recommended extraction. Since it never grew out properly and I don’t have a 3rd molar behind it either. At this point do you see any need to save the second molar? In my mind the upper second molar serves no functional purpose...but should I get this replaced with an implant etc ?

My upper 2nd molar was functional, but I had it extracted after a failed root canal. I also had my wisdom teeth out long ago, and had a set of premolars out for orthodontics. My endodontist and oral surgeon recommended not replacing the upper 2nd molar, saying it was not necessary. The oral surgeon basically said that if I wanted every tooth in my head for some reason then he could replace it, but that I wouldn't miss it.

I also had a upper 2nd molar recently extracted due to an abscess I had 3 answers from from various dental professionals. One said no need for an implant one said maybe just braces to help close the gap ( I have crowding) and an orthodontist just recently said braces an a implant (fear of drifting teeth and losing more) so I guess I don’t have an solid answer however I have an upper canine that grew out the same way as your molar. They are now suggesting after 30 plus years of this situation to have braces to pull it into line. I 50 now so I’m still weighting that option as the total costs for braces and implant plus deep cleaning will be over 10,000 ?

I also had a upper 2nd molar recently extracted due to an abscess I had 3 answers from from various dental professionals. One said no need for an implant one said maybe just braces to help close the gap ( I have crowding) and an orthodontist just recently said braces an a implant (fear of drifting teeth and losing more) so I guess I don’t have an solid answer however I have an upper canine that grew out the same way as your molar. They are now suggesting after 30 plus years of this situation to have braces to pull it into line. I 50 now so I’m still weighting that option as the total costs for braces and implant plus deep cleaning will be over 10,000 ?

So sorry you are getting conflicting answers but hope you had a good recovery.
So do you still have your wisdom tooth behind the extracted molar and hence the gap? I’ve already had my wisdom tooth behind extracted so this is my last tooth from the upper left side.

So sorry you are getting conflicting answers but hope you had a good recovery.
So do you still have your wisdom tooth behind the extracted molar and hence the gap? I’ve already had my wisdom tooth behind extracted so this is my last tooth from the upper left side.
No all my wisdom teeth were extracted in my late 20s. The Endodontist called yesterday to see how I made out at the orthodontist (which I thought as very nice ) and asked if I had any questions about the orthodontist appointment ( they all apparently discussed cases when they meet for meetings) I asked him and he said that an implant may not be needed once the ortho treatment was completed and at that point it would be up to me if I wanted one. He said more extensive x rays from the periodontist would help determine that as well. My concern wasn’t a gap or missing tooth there it is and has always been the possibility of shifting remaining teeth and more loss due to that.

No all my wisdom teeth were extracted in my late 20s. The Endodontist called yesterday to see how I made out at the orthodontist (which I thought as very nice ) and asked if I had any questions about the orthodontist appointment ( they all apparently discussed cases when they meet for meetings) I asked him and he said that an implant may not be needed once the ortho treatment was completed and at that point it would be up to me if I wanted one. He said more extensive x rays from the periodontist would help determine that as well. My concern wasn’t a gap or missing tooth there it is and has always been the possibility of shifting remaining teeth and more loss due to that.

Got it. I’m glad that you have a great team of dental professionals around you to guide you through this. Know that you are in great hands and that all the time and effort you are putting towards your dental health will pay off in the long run! :)

Ps. Just got scheduled to get my 2nd molar removed next Friday (got a few other opinions but it is apparently beyond saving)...deadly scared

Got it. I’m glad that you have a great team of dental professionals around you to guide you through this. Know that you are in great hands and that all the time and effort you are putting towards your dental health will pay off in the long run! :)

Ps. Just got scheduled to get my 2nd molar removed next Friday (got a few other opinions but it is apparently beyond saving)...deadly scared
Aww I was too but in just so much pain wAnted it over. It will be ok took a bit getting use to after but now I don’t even miss it ?

Jules, hope all goes well with you!! Keep us updated...

Jules, hope all goes well with you!! Keep us updated...

Thanks! I was so anxious about it that I had it done this morning...just to get it over with. I can’t believe I was worried over nothing...it took all of 20 mins including the numbing and listening to all the post care info and no pain at all even after the anesthesia wore off.

Oral surgeon said definitely no need for an implant unless I feeel I need it...and I can decide within the next couple of months if that is the case!

@MountainMama how was the extraction? I need an extraction on the same tooth for failed extraction. I’m scared of the sounds, people say it’s horrible.

@Beccab213 it wasn’t bad for me. I opted for nitrous though, so I was a little out of it. It was really quick. I vaguely remember getting the nitrous and then he said it was done. I don’t remember sounds, just a little pressure.

@MountainMama Thanks!
Did they do the procedure with a lot of gauze in your mouth?

@Beccab213 not really. I had gauze afterwards to bite on, but it was a small, rolled up piece. They told me to leave it in for 30 minutes. After 30
minutes, if it was still bleeding heavily, I could change the gauze. Otherwise I could leave it out. They said oozing was okay. I hate the gauze. I would rather have it oozing a bit.

Did they keep gauze in your mouth during the actual procedure? All the videos show gauze during the extraction.

@Beccab213. I never felt any gauze during the procedure at all, so I don’t think so. The only thing I felt was the pressure from the extraction and the assistant would occasionally use the little suction thing.

Back