• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

URGENT: Nitrous Oxide Questions

P

pacerboy9

Hi everyone,

I decided to opt to receive nitrous oxide during an upcoming dentist appointment. I am very nervous about receiving nitrous, as I have never had it before and don't know what to expect (I have considered it for appointments in the past, to control my gag reflex, but never asked because I was so nervous).

I have already asked my dentist office several questions, about the process (such as eating and driving restrictions), however, I am still very nervous. The videos on YouTube don't seem to go through the process in much detail.

Below are my questions, and I was wondering if I should also ask them to my dentist office?

1. What can I expect with the nitrous oxide sedation procedure (step-by-step)?
2. Can I wear my eye glasses during nitrous sedation (or will the mask hit my eyes); how big is the mask?

Thank you in advance for any answers!

Kind regards,

Brandon

I had nitrous for the first time this year, as I am a nervous patient and have had a ton of dental issues hit me all at once this year.

Nitrous is really good for relaxing you and should help with your gag reflex. There really are not a lot of steps. The mask is fairly small and just covers your nose and a little under your nose. You can still wear your glasses. I wore sunglasses given to me by the dentist to help with the glare by the bright light.

First they put the mask on you, and give you oxygen. Then they turn on the nitrous. That is it. You will start to feel a little loopy, kind of sleepy but still able to focus and be aware of what is going on around you. My husband compares it to being a little tipsy. I don't drink, so I can't confirm that. You can still communicate and know what is going on but can close your eyes and kind of check out if you want.

If you feel like you are too loopy you can always breathe through your mouth and the effects wear off very quickly.

It is out of your system in about 3 to 5 minutes, so you are free to drive yourself home afterwards and no restrictions to diet.

What if you don't want to "check out " so to say... would you say you are alert enough? to still know everything going on and not be too loopy? Id be scared i will say something silly or stupid.. I'm already candid enough at times. what would you say?

What if you don't want to "check out " so to say... would you say you are alert enough? to still know everything going on and not be too loopy? Id be scared i will say something silly or stupid.. I'm already candid enough at times. what would you say?

You are completely alert and have the choice. At one point, before they gave me the shots to numb, I closed my eyes and tried to check out, but was still hyper aware, even though I was relaxed. It is kind of like when you are sleepy but can choose whether to doze or stay awakes.

Plus if you feel like you are "falling asleep" you can always breathe through your mouth and lessen the effects. You are always in control.

For me, the term laughing gas was an inaccurate description. I never felt giddy or silly, just relaxed. I never had the urge to talk either, and didn't say any more than I wanted to.

Back