• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Very bad infection, I'm scared to death

P

Patricia5

My last dental appointment was years ago; I was supposed to go back for a few more fillings and a very much needed cleaning a thick buildup of plague but I never went back, I don't know why. A few weeks ago my gums started bothering me and it has only gotten worse. They started just feeling tender and later it felt like, I'm not sure how to describe it but that sensation when you eat a lemon and your mouth draws up? They felt like that, and in the last couple of days my mouth has been very dry. I finally looked in the mirror and my gums look very bad, sort of white and deep red at the edges. Obviously badly infected and probably gum disease I'm afraid.

I've also been reading that several of the symptoms I have match the onset of diabetes (dry mouth, frequent thirst, my gum infection, and sometimes my fingers have a tingling) so now I'm even more terrified. I'm sitting here trying to keep from just breaking down and sobbing. This is the first time I've told anyone at all about it, but I think I'm going to have to go to my parents and tell them what is going on soon so they can get me an appointment. I don't believe I can do it myself.

I'm just so scared of what he is going to tell me. Is it too late, will I lose them? Do I also have diabetes? I'm envisioning lots of terrifying visits and procedures and then doctor visits on top of all that. I have what you would call pretty severe social anxiety so just going to get a haircut is unnerving but the though of what I'm facing now, how can I get through this? The thought of losing any or all teeth is one of my worst nightmares but I'm afraid my stupidity has finally caught up with me. I'm ashamed to admit that because my gums have been so sore I rarely brush, as in almost never. Literally. Ok now I am crying, what am I going to do?

Talk to your parents. This is your first step and you will feel very relieved after you do. There have been many people on this forum who thought the worst and were surprised when things weren't as bad as they thought. I hope that is your outcome as well. Just remember- this forum is full of people just like you, and you will get support during your journey. Also, the dry mouth and thirst could be from your gums, or could also be from anxiety. Many people when anxious tend to breathe quickly and shallowly which can cause symptoms of hand tingling. So first things first- talk to your parents and let us know how things go. You can do this!

Thanks, you may be right. I think I'm a bit of a hypochondriac sometimes so I often think the worst. I actually called my dad early this morning and he told me to rinse with warm salt water for now and that we'll have to get an appointment made. The salt water actually seemed to have helped a lot, my gums feel better but my mouth is still dry and I'm so thirsty. I've drank so much water the last few days but it doesn't seem to help.

I'm really afriad my teeth might be loose because sometimes when I try to close my mouth they don't come together right, and they are tender to the touch. At the moment they seem ok though, it comes and goes.

Hi there Patricia. What you're describing could have been me when I was younger. I also suffer from a slight touch of hypochondria. From what you're describing, could you possible have a little sinus infection or something? Your teeth can get really tender from that, and could also be causing a dry mouth, also Davee is totally right in saying anxiety can cause a really dry mouth. I myself suffer from that terribly when I get really nervous. I think your Dad was right about rinsing with salt water and so on, but it'll be good to get some reassurance from the dentist when you see them :grin: I wouldn't worry about diabetes as the first cause of something like this, but if you're still worried, maybe make an appointment with your doctor?

Hope you feel better soon! :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Back