• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Was this okay by my Dentist? I feel like it was wrong, and I don't want to go back.

S

Spontanemoose

I'm 19 and I just transferred to a regular dentist - the same one my parents go to. When they called me in they had my mother go with me and they asked me all the questions in front of her, like if I smoke and such. I don't have a very good relationship with my mother, but I can't afford to move out just yet. They wouldn't send her away and I didn't want her there. The Dentist barely spoke to me at all, he just spoke to my mother and he asked her all the medical questions instead of me. He didn't even tell me his name; I don't even know which dentist I saw because their website doesn't post staff pictures.

I've gone one other time now, and the dentist didn't even see me, even though he said he wanted to keep track of some teeth and update X-rays and talk to me about getting my wisdom teeth out. I only saw one person, a hygienist, and she didn't tell me anything. I don't even know who she was.

I have a regular appointment coming up and I don't want to go back, but my mouth really hurts.

Find another dentist. That one sounds like a waste of space.

@Gordon Thank you for replying to me. I sort of felt like I was making a big deal out of nothing. Hopefully, I can find somewhere that takes my dogshit school insurance.

Spontanemoose,

I am so sorry that happened to you. Definately would not be a place I'd go back to. If a dr or staff cannot even talk to you or act as if you are the one in the chair and a valuable patient with real feelings and needs that is a problem.. I have myself dealt with dentist like this and you feel like an object, or block or wood they are working on . its so blah. :( to put it lightly, especially if they are recognizing your mom but not you . You deserve compassionate kind care from someone who will value you and your needs. They are out there!! I'm sorry you had this experience. :grouphug:

Wow, that sounds like some serious red flags. I would be looking elsewhere. I want the dentist to talk to me.

Back