• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Well...I'm baaaaaaaaaaack

  • Thread starter Thread starter Marty
  • Start date Start date
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

In an odd way that is what I am hoping for too. I had a flash of panic this morning...and that will probably continue the closer I get. I am just hoping that I will be so over the pain and so hungry, that the panic will pale in comparison to the desired result. Still hanging in there. :redface:
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

I hope you'll be able to get some relief tomorrow and that they will be able to get you in :grouphug:
Let us know how you get on!
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

I never thought I would say this out loud, much less put in writing...but I hope the dentist can see me. AcccccccccccccccccKKKKKKKKKKKK. Still scared beyond words, but know I have to have some relief and this is the only way to get it. Hubby is going early in the morn to see if there is appt. avail. I am sending extra prayers up for courage, and some level of calm. Just what I want to do on New Year's Eve. Heck of a start to a New Year. Thanks for being here...it has been a huge help. :thumbsup:

Marty
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

That's the spirit Marty! We're all praying that you will get your appt sooner than later and that you will be posting your success story here. All the best, we're thinking of you, be assured of that. Also remember, we know exactly how you are feeling, so many of us have been in your shoes before and many more will be in the future. You are not alone, though I know that may seem small comfort to you at the moment.:grouphug:
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

Well, it is Monday morning at 8:12 AM and the panic and tears are on the rampage. The doc's office isn't even open yet and the fear is taking off. I know I have to do this...and I don't have a clue how I am going to do this. Additionally, I am concerned that the general dentist is going to look in my mouth and say...oh you need to see an oral surgeon...and then we will have to find one. Argggggg....I wish I could just go to sleep and all my teeth would be restored...like that is going to happen. The "what if" thoughts that go through your mind are overwhelming. I am praying that this guy is great...and knows more than I do, about how to get someone with panic disorder through this experience. :'(
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

Well lets pray that the ativans do their job and that the appointment goes better than expected.:grouphug:
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

From your lips to God's ears. 8-)
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

[smiley=angelic.gif]definately[smiley=angelic.gif]
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

Well hubby just got back from the dentist and he cannot work me in today. I am happy and sad at the same time. The appt. is for Thursday, at 7:40 A.M. That is a little troubling because typically my panic disorder is at its worst in the morning. But they said I would have to come in and do an x-ray and then make another appointment. Again, conflicted here. I like the idea of getting in for the x-ray and then getting the heck out of Dodge. But then the dragging out...is disconcerting. This is not the way I had planned on entereing 2008. But the best plans of mice and men (and womens) often go astray. [smiley=drunk.gif]
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

On the topic of the panic disorder...does you dentist offer any other forms of sedation like nitrous oxide/laughing gas? That might help with the panicking along with the ativans.8-)
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

I am actually allergic to nitrous...wouldn't you know it. So I am going to have to go through this with a "clear head," as clear as a head can be when on a scale of 1 to 10 your panic is a 800. :D
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

Thursday isn't really that much longer to wait, though it is a great shame the dentist couldn't have fitted you in sooner. I didn't realise that people could be allergic to nitrous: is there not something else you can have, like a valium type pill to take beforehand just to destress you a little?
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

I think people can be allergic to anything LOL...I have always been very sensitive to meds and have a whole list of ones that aren't a good idea. I currently take ativan for my panic disorder and my general physican said I can double the dose prior to appt. I hope the panic does not prove to be stronger than the drugs. At least all they will do the first time is an x-ray and perhaps prescribe some antibiotics...and then we go from there. Maybe that will be a good way to wade in....just hope the water isn't too deep. [smiley=scared.gif]
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

Sorry to hear you couldn't get in today :( - I hope you will be able to enjoy New Year's Eve all the same [smiley=cheers.gif][smiley=drunk.gif]!

Wishing you a brilliant and successful (not only on the dental front 8-)) 2008!!
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

Thank you....wishing you a super 08 as well. [smiley=jumping.gif] Quiet nite here, pain is little better and got some food down my gullet. I guess if I live through this, 08 will be good just because my choppers (and I don't mean Harley) will be in better shape.
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

I always bring my ipod for visits, so with the nitrous, my ipod and closing my eyes I have no clue whatsoever what is going on because I cant see, smell or hear anything. You can atleast close your eyes and bring sometype of mp3 player for the sounds.
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

TI guess if I live through this, 08 will be good just because my choppers (and I don't mean Harley) will be in better shape.

You WILL live through this :D (experience will have told you that you're a lot more resilient than you might think at times ;))
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

Have Ipod loaded with a wonderful cd by Belleruth Naparstek, her name is odd, but guided imagery is the best I have found. And yes experience has shown me that I am not going to die...even if sometimes I think I will. Of course my biggest fear is that I will lose control and need to run...that good ole flight or fight response...and won't be able to. The one thing I have learned is that the more you try to fight panic...the stronger it gets. But I am not fond of the other mindset that says give in to it. Well it is 2008 and I am still here. HAPPY NEW YEAR ALL [smiley=cheers.gif]
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

I dont think you will run[smiley=cheers.gif] why wouldent you be able to?
 
Re: terrifed of dentists and have panic disorder

Have Ipod loaded with a wonderful cd by Belleruth Naparstek, her name is odd, but guided imagery is the best I have found.

That sounds interesting! She seems to have quite a few CDs - are there any that you would particularly recommend?
 
Back
Top