• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

What does twilight sedation feel like

M

Madmanzx6r

So I have an appointment coming up soon and the Dr wants me to take a 0.25 mg halcion tablet an hour before, he then said he is going to put me on nitrous. What am I going to feel like or expect. Will I feel pain. I am afraid of drugs in general but I'm also afraid of the dentist. Thankyou

The anti-anxiety will help take the edge off any anxiety you have (I am prescribed Xanax). I've had about 6 procedures under nitrous oxide. It works great for me. There is no way I would get work done without it. What helped me before my first procedure was reading the information on this website about nitrous oxide...

I've got another friend with dental anxiety that uses nitrous oxide that that agrees with me on this 'Nitrous Oxide will make you not care what's going on. The dentist will be working and you just won't care'.

It really feels like you are juuusssttt about to fall asleep, but never do. Also, as the article on this website explains Nitrous Oxide kills pain, specifically in the soft tissues of your mouth. Personally, I don't feel the numbing anesthetic at all. The first time I turned to the dentist and said 'You did the shots? I didn't even feel it!!!'...and then when the anesthetic is working, I get numbed up and them I really don't feel a thing. My fear is more about having sharp objects in my mouth, but the nitrous oxide makes me NOT CARE.

Some tips-
1. I bring a stuffed animal to every appointment to hold during my procedures. It helps to keep my hands busy and gives me something to concentrate on. The assistants and dentist are totally cool with it!
2. Close your eyes while you are getting gassed. It makes it feel like you are falling asleep and i notice it works great for me.
3. The gas will smell like some sort of fruit, and the air will be pretty cold, so it's a little disconcerting at first but then your nose gets used to the cold air. The reason I think it's so cold is because dental nitrous oxide is always mixed with oxygen.
4. It might be a little weird feeling at first. At first, I was scared, but later i realized how good it was making me feel. After that first procedure, I was like 'oh that wasn't so bad. Gas was amazing. I wanna do that again'. i think my next time when they brought out the nose mask I was like 'YAY GAS.'
5. Keep honest communication with your dentist on how you are doing on the gas.
6. A few ways I could tell I was properly gassed- Music has a echoy reverb, my voice sounded really deep, sounds were kind of muddled and normal sounds were a little weird sounding. Also, you feel REALLY GOOD.

Good luck with the gas! Hope it helps you out like it helps me.

thank you

I'm,so grateful that I got the response I did from you, it really makes me more relaxed about this appointment all together :)

Back