• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Which anxiety med should I request?

  • Thread starter Thread starter tabatha7
  • Start date Start date
T

tabatha7

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 3, 2010
Messages
905
Location
US
I have noticed most oral surgeons prescribe diazapam (valium) for night before and hour before appt for extractions with iv sedation. But, I read in a different thread that diazapam is not a good anxiety premed. Which one is best and which one should I ask for? Is xanax a good one?
 
Hi there! I take Xanax and it works great for me. It is shorter acting that valium. I take about 1mg when I go in for any dental work.

Hope this helps,
Tess
 
Hi Tess... I do actually have my own prescription for that. I have not been taking them though because I don't want them to interfere with anything the oral surgeon will give me. I know he will prescribe me something for the night before and morning of but I'm not sure yet what it will be. I'll ask at the consultation. I was hoping for something a little stronger though.
 
Temazepam in the uk - has a much better effect and doesen't last so long x
 
Thanks, Kim.... does that have another name by any chance? Like diazapam is valium?
 
Temazepam is the name used in the US as well - I had a look and one brand name is Restoril. It's usually used as a sleeping tablet but the dentists on here like Gordon and Lincoln prefer it to diazepam for oral sedation .
 
Thanks, Coolin... I will be sure and ask the os about it. They usually give diazapam around here. I only had it once with a previous extraction and it gives me a headache.
 
What is the recommended dosage for temazapam?
 
What weight are you? Sorry to be so rude, but the dose is weight dependent :) PM me if you'd rather not discuss it on here!
 
Gordon!! You have used the 'W' word to a lady - omg - thank goodness you have redeemed yourself by saying to pm you :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Sorry tabatha, couldn't resist that one, but you will get a good answer xx
 
You took the words right out of my mouth, Kim he he :giggle: The reason I asked that is because they just give out 10mg valiums without asking my weight. I thought maybe it was this same with temazapam.
 
Back
Top