• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Why Was I Born With Only 25 Adult Teeth?

  • Thread starter Thread starter QuirkyGirl
  • Start date Start date
Q

QuirkyGirl

Junior member
Joined
Dec 21, 2010
Messages
16
Location
Torrance, CA (United States).
Hi,

I was born without all of my wisdom teeth, and 3 of my second molars (so I only have 25 adult teeth!). Could this be because I didn't take care of my teeth as a child?

Thanks,
QuirkyGirl
 
Hi There!
I'm not a dentist so don't count on this answer but....
I was born without 2 bottom wisdom teeth and at the time my oral surgeon said I was a "product of evolution". He said eventually people wouldn't have them anymore. Not soon enough for this board!!!!Count yourself lucky to be spared those four.

As for the other three molars, I'd suspect they were never there to begin with either so how you cared for your teeth would have had no impact. Again, I'm not a dentist...just a product of evolution :giggle: trying to help but I could be totally off!!
 
Hi QuirkyGirl!

It is unusual to only have 3 of your 2nd Molars, but not having wisdom teeth is becoming more and more common these days! As Mugz said, it's *usually* to do with evolution - I guess they're becoming obsolete? :)

I have seen that it is common for people from England to be missing / born without lateral incisors. My mum is English and doesn't have her lateral incisors, have also seen it in a few of my English friends..

But as for being born with only 3 of your 2nd Molars, I'm not entirely sure. I don't think it would be due to you not taking care of your teeth when you were younger though, I googled "missing adult teeth" and found this -

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypodontia

Thanks for posting :)

Faithix
 
Last edited:
No I have treated patients who are congenitally missing over 1/2 of their teeth. It happens.
 
Hi QuirkyGirl!

It is unusual to only have 3 of your 2nd Molars, but not having wisdom teeth is becoming more and more common these days! As Mugz said, it's *usually* to do with evolution - I guess they're becoming obsolete? :)

I have seen that it is common for people from England to be missing / born without lateral incisors. My mum is English and doesn't have her lateral incisors, have also seen it in a few of my English friends..

But as for being born with only 3 of your 2nd Molars, I'm not entirely sure. I don't think it would be due to you not taking care of your teeth when you were younger though, I googled "missing adult teeth" and found this -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypodontia

Thanks for posting :)

Faithix

Hi Faithix,

You misunderstood me...I am MISSING 3 of my second molars (so I only have 1). :) It is rather embarrassing, though, because I feel like people might think I got them extracted, or something.

I never heard of missing wisdom teeth as being evolution, but that makes sense! :giggle:

That's interesting that a lot of English people are missing their lateral incisors.

Thanks for replying!

Sincerely,
QuirkyGirl
 
Hi There!
I'm not a dentist so don't count on this answer but....
I was born without 2 bottom wisdom teeth and at the time my oral surgeon said I was a "product of evolution". He said eventually people wouldn't have them anymore. Not soon enough for this board!!!!Count yourself lucky to be spared those four.

As for the other three molars, I'd suspect they were never there to begin with either so how you cared for your teeth would have had no impact. Again, I'm not a dentist...just a product of evolution :giggle: trying to help but I could be totally off!!

Hi Mugz,

I think it's very interesting how missing wisdom teeth can be a "product of evolution"! :) That makes me feel a little better (about the missing wisdom teeth). I guess I AM lucky to be missing wisdom teeth!

Thanks for replying!

Sincerely,
QuirkyGirl
 
No I have treated patients who are congenitally missing over 1/2 of their teeth. It happens.

Hi comfortdentist,

Wow! I can't believe some patients are missing over half of their teeth!!!

I guess you're right that it just "happens". :)

Thanks for replying!

Sincerely,
QuirkyGirl
 
Hi Faithix,

You misunderstood me...I am MISSING 3 of my second molars (so I only have 1). :) It is rather embarrassing, though, because I feel like people might think I got them extracted, or something.

I never heard of missing wisdom teeth as being evolution, but that makes sense! :giggle:

That's interesting that a lot of English people are missing their lateral incisors.

Thanks for replying!

Sincerely,
QuirkyGirl


Hey QuirkyGirl!

Ahh I see what you mean, I thought you meant you were only missing 1 of your molars..

I'm not 100% sure on the evolution aspect of fewer people being born with wisdom teeth, but if I remember correctly it has to do with the size of our jaws? Or it could just be that they're unnecessary :)

Faithix
 
I have a condition called Oligodontia whereby I am missing most of my adult teeth. I am in the process of having a new smile, as I call it, made. I've kept my milk teeth into my 30's, I've had gaps all over the place filled with bridges, or some just left because I've managed and adapted to eating. I've recently undergone major surgery for future implants, but they're a way off yet... I have however had 2 wisdom teeth grow ...although they were both extracted! So yeh, missing teeth so happen!
 
I have a condition called Oligodontia whereby I am missing most of my adult teeth. I am in the process of having a new smile, as I call it, made. I've kept my milk teeth into my 30's, I've had gaps all over the place filled with bridges, or some just left because I've managed and adapted to eating. I've recently undergone major surgery for future implants, but they're a way off yet... I have however had 2 wisdom teeth grow ...although they were both extracted! So yeh, missing teeth so happen!

Hi rachpanter333,

Wow! Thanks for sharing. :) Good luck with your new smile!

Sincerely,
QuirkyGirl
 
Back
Top