• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Will the numbing injection hurt more with front teeth? Very nervous!

I

Izzowl

I have an appointment on Wednesday to have a root canal treatment on one of my upper central incisors. I called the dentist to speak with them and let them know that I am extremely nervous about it and the lady I spoke to was very lovely and she was patient with my query's. She even said that if I was nervous about the injection, that I could try and go without it. Because the root is dead, I may not feel anything anyway, but they would give me anesthetic just to be sure.

Has anyone had injections on their upper front teeth and how was it?
I will keep updated with how my experience went after the appointment. :)

I have, and it was fine. Didn't hurt any more than any other injection. I'm sure yours will be fine too :)

I wouldn't recommend trying without LA. Some of the nerve may be dead, another part may not be and there is no point risking giving yourself an unpleasant experience. I also think it is much easier to relax if you feel numb.
There's a lot of twiddling about in the canals and numbness reduces all the sensations.

Re injections, many dentists develop techniques to make it comfortable in all parts of the mouth: http://www.dentalfearcentral.org/fears/needle-phobia/

I had 8 injections for a deep cleaning last week, 6 on top with 3 on either side. They all felt like a little pinch and the very front ones tickled my nose, but they weren't nearly as bad as some of the immunizations I've gotten elsewhere, and the anesthetic kicks in right away so you only feel the initial pinch. All 8 were done in less than a minute, and I didn't feel a thing afterwards. You'll have some sore gums the next day, but rinsing with warm salt water takes care of that.

Thanks all! It really does make me feel less anxious when others talk about their own experiences. :)

It's nice to hear stories about how mediocre it is instead of the worst case scenarios we hear about, but please try not to worry too much <3 I have a deep, lifelong fear of needles, and I didn't even cry this time ? It'll all be over with before you know it

I too had some upper injections last week. they weren't too bad. at all. My dentist is really great at injections, I barely feel them at all. I felt these a tiny bit.maybe 5-10 seconds :) Hope it goes as well for you! I agree I think its definately worth it to have it than not.. I'd rather make sure I'm comfortable. My dentist seems to think the same which I appreciate completely!!

I've recently had several injections but honestly the ones in the front were not as bad as the ones which were harder to get to. So, I hope you are able to get through it when the time comes. But honestly it wasn't any worse than the others.

Back