• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom tooth in danger past safe age for removal

E

estherjohn

My crown on my wisdom tooth fell off and I went to the dentist, paid up front for the new crown. Then he says the tooth is cracked to the bone and he wants to do bone-lengthening but then he only gave me a 50/50 chance for saving it. I can't have it removed as I am above the safe age and I couldn't deal with breathing, sinus, problems or permanent dehabilitating headaches. I have a serious heart problem and pain doesn't work well with that. I don't have any current pain as he tooth already had a root canal before the old crown was put on. I am on a limited income and really scared as I need to be active. I'm alone and don't have anyone to help me if something happens to me and so I need to come out active and OK. He put on a temporary crown and I don't know what to do. I'm supposed to go back but he doesn't seem to understand my concerns at all.

Hi welcome to the forum.

I am sure he will understand the health implications for you but only you can decide what to do. What is the safe age for having wisdoms out?

If he gave you 50/50 what happens if it isn't successful. Could you have a word with your Doctor and explain to him as he will have dealt with your heart problems and be monitoring you. It has been know for a Doctor and Dentist to work together with things like this if they are willing.

If not could the dentist refer you to a hospital for this to be done where doctors will be on hand while you are seeing a dentist there.

Back