• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Wisdom tooth pulled ~80 hours ago, still feeling pain

T

tehshasta

Hey everyone, first time poster, long time lurker here.

So as the title says, I had my bottom right wisdom tooth pulled somewhere around 80 hours ago and from what I've read it's supposed to be virtually painless at this point. I'd say the pain i'm experiencing now on a scale from 1-10 is somewhere around a 4-5, and after some pain meds it's almost completely gone. However, I'm a bit worried that I'm still feeling pain almost 5 days in and I don't want to have to keep popping pills every 4-6 hours. Is it normal for some people to feel pain for this long? I know it's not a dry socket because the pain is not terrible, and I'm pretty sure it's not an infection because I'm still finishing up the round of Amoxicillin my Dentist prescribed.

The way the socket looks right now is also a bit concerning. I've read many posts about granulation tissue filling the socket, but most people have described theirs as white. Whatever is filling my socket is much more greyish/greenish with not much white. Is it possible for granulation tissue to come in this color? I've followed the post-op instructions from my dentist to a T, doing many saltwater rinses daily. I'm also still on a pretty much liquid type diet (Soup,yogurt,applesauce,pudding)

Even though the pain isn't too terrible, I'm still freaking out a bit over this all, and am absolutely terrified of getting a dry socket. I would be so grateful for any help or advice. Thanks!:)

EDIT: I'd also like to add that the tooth was pretty decayed before coming out, and the extraction was not the smoothest. The dentist had to use quite a bit of force to get it out, and it came out in many pieces. It also bled for a good 6-7 hours following the extraction as well :(

Everyone is different. I was taking OTC pain meds regularly for a couple of weeks after having my wisdom teeth out. My bottom ones were very long and difficult extractions. If you're concerned, you can call the dentist and have him/her take a quick look.

Back