• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

Woke up last night with new implant throbbing

M

MountainMama

Ugh. I had my surgery Tuesday. My front tooth, that was extracted, bone grafting, amd implant is fine....just a little sore but seems to be healing nicely.

The lower molar implant is swollen more than yesterday, and has a pulsing, throbbing pain. It wasn't this painful yesterday. I took tylenol before bed, and woke up at 3 a.m. with so much pain I was crying. I took a tramadol, which took the edge off, but now it is back to throbbing.

It doesn't feel anything like the other implant did. I am on antibiotics already. I have no idea what is wrong.

I am calling the oral surgeon as soon as the office opens.

Yes call him.

I am getting in at 11 a.m. today for him to look at it. The nurse said I shouldn't be having much pain at all at this point, so he wants to look at it.
I took 1000 mg of tylenol and that helped, but it still has that pulsing pain, like with my heart beat.

Let us know how you are doing and what your dentist says. Hang in there!

The oral surgeon was concerned but said the gum tissue looked good. He was a little worried about the pain and the amount of swelling. He said he had to smooth out a place where the ridge had not been sustained, so he had to create another gum flap, so that might account for the swelling and pain.
He upped my dosage of amoxicillin to 4x a day, and told me to call him on his cell if the swelling gets worse or does not gp down by tomorrow night/Sunday morning. Or call if the pain gets worse.

So far the swelling is worse than this morning but the pain hasn't increased.

Thanks for your update. I’m so sorry you’re going through this! I hope it resolves soon. Sending you all the good healing wishes I can. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks for your update. I’m so sorry you’re going through this! I hope it resolves soon. Sending you all the good healing wishes I can. Let us know how it goes.

Thanks. I am so ready to have an end to all this. I really hope this implant doesn't fail. Ironically, he said he had expected the top tooth to have the most issue with pain and recovery, since there was active infection present, but he said it looked great.

Poor you, what an ordeal. I so wished you would experience an easy procedure without any complications.. :( Fingers crossed for the swelling and pain to subside soon and also for the implant to work out!:clover:

Poor you, what an ordeal. I so wished you would experience an easy procedure without any complications.. :( Fingers crossed for the swelling and pain to subside soon and also for the implant to work out!:clover:

Thanks.
The area that he cut the flap is bright red and very irritated feeling. I just want it to heal.
I am very thankful that the top tooth is healing very nicely!

Today the swelling has gone down on the lower implant, so that is good! Pain is still there, but manageable with tylenol so far. I am so relieved. I really didn't want to have to call my oral surgeon at home. I have a hard enough time calling the office!

Back