• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

15 years since last dentist visit and i'm completely terrified.

Laura, you haven't left it too late, and are now on the right track to getting your mouth to it's optimum health, and for that reason, I will continue to whoop it up for you :cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer:

Kim xx

Hijacking the thread a little but I had to comment Kim on what you wrote about fear of childbirth and dentistry...and what you said was spot on!

I did have a little chuckle to myself about you never being so scared in your life, not even in childbirth - the reason I chuckled is because with going to the dentist etc, we have a 'choice' in some respects, even when in pain, some of us still won't go, whereas when you are in labour, you have no choice, you are going to have to 'go through the motions' one way or another :giggle:

My dentist asked me about this the last time I saw him !! I'm a midwife and I work in labour ward and he wondered how I deal with people who are scared and basically most people are able to face the process with our support because that baby is coming out one way or another - there is no alternative :grin::ROFLMAO:

Coolin - ever grateful for anaesthetics - whether in childbirth or dentistry :giggle:

Me too Coolin'

I can remember when I had my second son, and things moved so quickly that it was too late for me to have anything but gas and air. I remember 'sucking' on that bloomin' thing like there was no tomorrow, and when the wonderful midwife stood at the foot of the bed, gently clapping her hands to try to get my attention and explain what was going to happen, and me being 'high' on the gas and air, told her that it could all happen, but she was not getting my gas and air back :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO: Of course she did, and my 8lb 9oz son came into this world anyway ;)

Ya know, the more I think about it, the anticipation of all of it is far worse than the actual appointment/procedure(s). I know I had myself all worked up and looking back on it, it was really for nothing. Dentistry has really come a long way!

I have several broken teeth and I have only gotten 3 or 4 abscesses, I baby them by brushing 3 times a day, use antiseptic mouthwash and if they start to feel really bad I use warm salt water.

Thank you all so much!! :)

Aldridge, i am really hoping that'll be the case but i'm ever doubtful :( but keep your fingers crossed for me :( thank you for replying to the thread its always so helpful to hear of peoples experiences! It really helps! :)

and thanks to Patti and KIm as always, you really are inspirational and really have helped me through so far!!

Well TODAY ID DOOMSDAY!!! :cry::terror:absolutely terrified now!! please keep your fingers crossed for me! I need all the help i can get today :(

xxxxxx

that was meant to be TODAY IS DOOMSDAY!! (not ID lol) :faint::cry::terror:

Hope everything goes well for you.

Hi evsgal, can I uncross my fingers now? x

I was 46 the first time I saw a dentist. This year (at 49) I got ALL the dental work done I needed. It was a lot but not as bad as I thought it would be. But it wasn't a bad thing either. I hope all went well for you!

Hi guys!! Sorry it took me so long to reply!!

well, first appointment i shook like a leaf and had tears in my eyes. I was straight up and honest about everything and I couldn't believe how nice she was about it all!!She just did some xrays and had a look at my teeth on that appointment. and although i know i'm in for a long journey (3 extractions is just the start), I also feel comfortable with my new dentist. She said that it wasn't as disastrous as I thought and that we'd sort the first 3 out first and see where we go after cleaning. She was so supportive and told me that i'd made the first step and that was the most important part. I still am in shock at how understanding and kind she was :)

so my next appointment is in 2 hours time!! I have my first cleaning, we're doing it in 4 parts so I am guessing the build up is pretty bad o_O but I am just praying that it doesn't look worse when i come out because I'm scared that some of my gums will come away?? does that happen?!??! Incredibly nervous!! I also guess i will find out today since they will have seen the xrays just how bad a state I am in? please keep your fingers crossed (again) for me! Thank you all so much for being there!! Support makes a world of difference!! Thank you all soooooooooo much again!! :friends:

Laura x

Well i made it through the first appointment where they did anything!! I was only there for 10 minutes. She was really good with me and took it very slowly and told me to just raise my hand if i needed to stop. She has taken all the build up from the bottom teeth and there are now slight gaps between all the lower teeth but nothing as bad as i was thinking! So, so far so good :) I go back next Tuesday for more cleaning and I guess we'll see. We didn't discuss the xrays yet, she asked if i had any questions and wanted to talk about anything but i was too nervous and just wanted to get the hell out of there to look at my teeth and see what they looked like ( i was expecting gaping holes between teeth). For now, although I am still nervous, having seen the difference already between my top and bottom teeth and the fact that she has been so supportive and reasurring, I finally feel like although it will be a long journey, I have the right person to finally help me on the road to a smilier happier me :) I'm not counting my chickens, I think she's easing me in very slowly before she tells me just how bad it is, but there is the tiniest part of me that thinks maybe, just maybe, it really isn't as bad as i thought.....

Great update! And once again, as is the norm, the anticipation is always worse than the actual experience.

Mike

You're right there Mike! All these years of being so terrified and I actually feel happy now that i'm getting it all sorted :) I think having the right dentist is a massive part of that too though :)

Laura

well today i had my first tooth extraction! and i'm back all safe and sound! (and very numb!) but yay me i did it!! after all this time of being so scared, I finally found a great dentist who's been so nice and understanding and now all i keep thinking is I wish i'd gone sooner! If only I had built up the courage years ago!! But nevermind! I'm finally sorting it all out and hopefully in time I will be able to smile again without feeling embarrassed and hiding my teeth!! I would just like to take a minute too to thank this forum and all the wonderful supportive people! In particulour, everyone who commented on my post and help me find the courage to go through with it!! Thank you soooooooooooooooooo much!! Without this forrum, I don't think i would have got through the door! :) xxxxxxxxxxx What a fab support network to have!!:grouphug:

:jump:;):cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer2::cheer2::dance::dance:

:jump::jump::jump::jump::jump::cheer::cheer::cheer::dance2::dance2::dance2::dance2::dance2::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::yayy::yayy::yayy:

Congratulations and WELL DONE :jump::jump::jump::butterfly:

Well done! So glad you followed through with your treatment. :jump:

WOW~!!! CONGRATS TO YOU...I was supposed to go today but had to postpone because my dad went into the hospital yesterday and I just freaked out. He is still there and doing testing but having my tooth extracted and the worrying over him was more then I can handle. What tooth did you have done? Are you in pain now? I am scheduled at the end of May unless they get a cancellation and I am hoping for that. I was ready to do this, or sorta, had pudding made, jello, yogurt and I was ready to do this. But now I am on hold. I am still petrified:dunno: so that is why I am asking the questions. What a great big step for you!!!:jump::):respect::respect::respect:

well today i had my first tooth extraction! and i'm back all safe and sound! (and very numb!) but yay me i did it!! after all this time of being so scared, I finally found a great dentist who's been so nice and understanding and now all i keep thinking is I wish i'd gone sooner! If only I had built up the courage years ago!! But nevermind! I'm finally sorting it all out and hopefully in time I will be able to smile again without feeling embarrassed and hiding my teeth!! I would just like to take a minute too to thank this forum and all the wonderful supportive people! In particulour, everyone who commented on my post and help me find the courage to go through with it!! Thank you soooooooooooooooooo much!! Without this forrum, I don't think i would have got through the door! :) xxxxxxxxxxx What a fab support network to have!!:grouphug:

:jump:;):cheer::cheer::cheer::cheer2::cheer2::dance::dance:

:) Thanks all :) I have had four more out since and now only have 1 filling to do before she doesn't want to see me for 6 whole months!! Then she can start on getting some bridges in to hide the gaps! I am sooooooooo happy! :jump::giggle::):grin:

Heartsada - I am so sorry for not reading this sooner or I would have told you what i could and I'm sorry to hear about your dad, i hope he is ok now. How are you doing? Did you go ahead with your first extraction? xxx

Back