• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

17 years old with rotting teeth - HELP :,(

A

alexandraa

My teeth have always been something that I hated. I never smile and I talk funny just to make sure no one sees my teeth. As a child, they were horribly crooked and strange, then I got braces. My ortho told me that I will always have an overbite unless they break my jaw and reset it. During the time I had my braces, I took the worst care of them. I know it's no one's fault but mine, but when they were taken off, it was horrible. My enamel is non-existant, the surface of my teeth feels like a pumice stone, and they are past yellow. When I got the cavities in my front teeth fixed, they said they didn't have a color dark enough to match them.

In short, I have horrible teeth. I hate them and I hate myself. It is such a hard thing for me to deal with and I hate it. And now something even worse is happening, part of my tooth must be rotting or something. It is a sickly blue-green color inside the cavity. It doesn't hurt but I can't believe it. I had to tell my mom finally and she is taking me to the dentist tomorrow.. I'm not afraid of the dentist, they can do anything. I am scared of my teeth. I am 17, and I have these horrible teeth, and I do NOT want dentures! Ever! The thought of it makes me want to cry.

For the past two years I have been taking great care of my teeth, brush after every meal, morning and night. But still.. even if they fix the cavity.. what then? They have no enamel and they are yellow all to hell. I can't keep living like this but I would rather have this than dentures. I'm crying just thinking about all this..

I guess I just wanted to hear from anyone who has gone through something similar, or knows any ways that my teeth can recover enamel or get whiter? Also how will they try to fix the rotten tooth? Will I be able to keep it? :,( Thank you so much.

-Alex

I am sorry I cant really answer your questions but your dentist certainly can, and I know that there is a lot of info on the forum that might help you. Its amazing what can be done these days so dont be too down hearted before you have found out exactly whats what. My advice would be to write a list of questions so that you dont forget when you are seeing your dentist. Good luck :hug4::hug4:

Just wanted to add that everyone on here expected the outcome of their 1st check-up to be a zillion times worse that it was! Good luck

You are doing the right thing in going to the dentist now. You are young, and I am sure that with your professional's advice and help, you will get your teeth in a healthy state, rather than worrying yourself silly about losing them.

Let us know how you get on, and good luck.

Back