• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

20 teeth being pulled, dentures, phobias...oh my.

chaoticharmony

chaoticharmony

Hi everyone! First I would like to say how wonderful this forum is. It’s provided me with a lot of comfort over the last few days - you are all amazing people!

I’m going to try to keep this short so I don’t take up too much of your time. Please bear with me!

I’m 39 and I hadn’t been to the dentist in almost 15 years before Monday. My mother wasn’t the greatest at taking me to the dentist when I was a kid (only took me once because I broke a tooth), so I really didn’t learn good dental habits in my youth. When I was old enough to have my own insurance I never went for cleanings, only for painful emergencies. On the last emergency visit I had a terrible experience. It was at a health department, the dentist was in training and he broke off two teeth he was trying to pull. He hadn’t given me enough numbing medication, he wouldn’t listen that I was really hurting, and he just didn’t care. My teeth are awful because of genetics and being a type 1 diabetic but he blamed me completely for my teeth breaking off and he was just mean. Since it was a health department, they only did simple extractions and since my teeth broke it was now complicated and they couldn’t help me. I was devastated.

Over the next 15 years my teeth went from bad to worse. They were chipping, breaking, decaying no matter how much I brushed, flossed and rinsed. They always hurt but I just could not bring myself to go back to any dentist.

Last week I had three teeth break in two days. I knew I couldn’t put it off anymore because it’s too painful (and looks even worse) so my husband made an appointment for me with his dental office. We told them on the phone just how bad everything was and how scared I was and they told me not to worry, that they would take care of me.

Monday came, I was panicking ...vomiting....the works. I almost canceled 3x. When I actually got to the office my anxiety was completely out of control and I started pacing in the waiting area. They were running late which made it even worse.

I finally got called back and the assistant took me straight to the big x-ray machine. She knew how scared I was and she was awesome at being reassuring. The dentist was just as awesome. He told me off the bat that this wasn’t my fault, that he was going to do everything he could for me. However! He confirmed my worst fear...that my teeth couldn’t be saved. All the top ones are broken, rotted, etc. He can save 6 bottom but the rest of those have to go - along with the roots of the ones the other dentist broke. He knew I was in tremendous pain so he got me into the oral surgeon the very next day and the oral surgeon was able to schedule me quickly, too.

It’s now Friday evening, my surgery is scheduled for Wednesday and I’m freaking out! The dentist and oral surgeon are fantastic people but I’m still worried! I know I have to have this done but I’m not sure how to deal with this anxiety. I’ve already had nightmares that these guys turn into that terrible dentist from all those years ago. Am I just crazy? And the dentures are going to be worth it right? I also have anxiety about the healing, adjusting and everything else.

I’m sorry this is so long. Thanks for letting me vent!

Hey, you've already come a long way. Well done.

I am very pleased to hear that you contacted the dentist, went to the appointment, experienced what you had to experience, and then accepted the difficult news they had to give you.

For what my opinion is worth, I encourage you to write as much, and post as often, as you like. Your words are important.

Hey, you've already come a long way. Well done.

I am very pleased to hear that you contacted the dentist, went to the appointment, experienced what you had to experience, and then accepted the difficult news they had to give you.

For what my opinion is worth, I encourage you to write as much, and post as often, as you like. Your words are important.

Thank you SO MUCH for this. It made me feel better to see someone had responded and so nicely. It means a lot.

Sure!

You're going to do great.

Hi Chaoticharmony,

Just wanted to congratulate you on your bravery in getting this far. Well done for getting yourself to the dentist and sticking out the length of your appointment. You have come so far already. (Being a fellow phobic I really understand how hard it is to even step into a dental office.) I hope you are really proud of yourself.

It sounds like you have a really understanding, fantastic dentist. I hope this will give you some faith. Also, as you said none of this is your fault so hopefully you might take some comfort in those words from your dentist. But, I also realise this next step will be huge for you and you'll probably wonder if you will come out of this the other side. But you will. You will be stronger, free of pain and have the most fantastic smile!

I wish you lots of luck for the next step and recovery. Please keep us updated.

Best Wishes

Back