• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

I'm soooo Anxious! 3 teeth being pulled Thursday!! Need good thoughts and advise!!

N

Ncbeechbum

Junior member
Joined
Mar 15, 2025
Messages
11
Location
North Carolina
I am having 3 teeth extracted Thursday My dentist knows I suffer from extreme dental anxiety. He's prescribed 5mg valium - one the night before and 1 or 2 valium an hour before appointment. I take a 2mg valium a few times a month, prescribed by my doctor for anxiety. My dentist knows of this prescription. Because I occasionally take valium, I'm worried the 5 to 10 mg won't be effective. Any thoughts or advise? Has anyone else taken 5 to 10 mg prior to your appointment? Were you heavily sedated or more relaxed? Again I've only taken 2mg valium at night maybe 2 to 3 times a month. I'm really really nervous about this. Not to mention the pain following. I'm told the pain afterwards in more soreness. I'm really really nervous! Dentist said he can prescribe tramadol. I've never had that. Not sure how well that will work for the pain.

This anticipation is driving me crazy !!! Thank you in advance for any comments or advise.
 
I was given that amount of Valium for 14 extractions. Totally relaxed!! I have a huge dental phobia but this was perfect. I took 5mg an hour before the appointment and another 5 when I got to the office. I opened my mouth like it was nothing. Good luck and let us know how things go.
 
Thank you so so much for your response!!! I'm feeling better about it. Were you given tramadol for the pain afterwards? And of course I will let you know how it goes. Thanks again!!!
 
I was only given tylenol3. I’m not sure why or if I just have a high tolerance hor pain but that was enough for me. I did stay on schedule with it though. Set my alarm to take it during the night to stay ahead of the pain.
 
How did your appointment go today?
 
@Ladydi1724 My appointment went great. I took my 5mg valium the night before and 10 mg an hour before my appointment. My dentist was so gentle and his staff was great!! It is day number 3. I still have soreness and my face is a bit swollen. I must say it was alot easier than I thought it would be. I'm scheduled next Wednesday to have 2 upper back molars removed so an impression can be done. At that same appointment, I had my teeth cleaned which seemed to hurt more so than the extractions. LoL who would have thought!! Thanks for thinking of me.
 
Back
Top