• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

27 Teeth in ONE sitting- and im 28 y.o.

C

cherry.mara.mae

So TWO years ago I was pregnant and miserable from a toothache- went to the dentist and he did a bunch of dental work, route canals etc. Well ever since then I have had so many problems with my teeth. Breaking, pain, absesses, etc. I am a full time college student and my husband is on disability so I am unfortunately for another year on state insurance. I know its embarrassing. So I finally found a dentist who would take my medical and he tells me that the dental work I had done was botched with temporary fillings and never filled in route canals- and its all rotten and needs to come out. The dental work was only covered till the 31st of December so at noon on that day I went to dentist and he took out 27 of my teeth. At one time. With Novicane only. And I was scared to death and crying.

Worst part is after having the work done- 8 hours later I was still pouring red blood out of my mouth every ten minutes or so- and had to go to ER. It took them four hours to get bleeding to stop using blood clotting gauze and ice. My blood work #s were low from all the blood loss. I had to have IV fluids and anti nausea medicine.

I am six days in- living on jello, rice pudding, yogurt, and well mashed cream soups. I need so much advice. How long will it take for these blood clots to heal so I can try and eat normal food again? How long till this infection smell goes away? I try to talk to dentist but they wont see me unless its cash- and that money is going towards food and bills right now in my house. Any referals on where to go in the philly, md, de area to get affordable dentures? How long should I be gargling with salt water? I have been going every time I eat when I wake up and when I go to bed and only drinking water since I had surgery- I am still pretty swollen. PLEASE REPLY!!!! I feel lost!!!!

I'm so sorry this happened to you.
You do not so much "gargle" with salt water as that is more for your throat. just gently swish it over your gums. you should do it a few times a day for as long as you have swelling and pain.
you should also use an ice pack 15 minutes on one side of your face then 15 minutes on the other. that will greatly reduce your swelling which is where most of your pain comes from.
You should be taking a multivitamin to supplement your nutrition and especially vitamin c every day which can help with speedier healing. you should really not be tasting infection at all and if you do have infection you need to be given antibiotcs

You should be trying to consume some protein, it is important for your healing. even a milk shake made with ice cream and real milk will contain several grams of protein, or get yourself some protein shakes.
you can even eat baby food pureed meats or put your own foods in the blender if you must because it is really important to get some protein.
you can start adding foods whenever your swelling and pain allows it, as soon as you feel comfortable.

at 6 days your risk of getting dry socket is almost 0% so if you feel ready to add some foods you can do so.
I would at this point mash some potatoes and boil a piece of chicken, shred the chicken and add it to the potatoes with some gravy to thin it out, you should be able to eat this just by further mashing it with your tongue against your top pallet. you will feel so much better when you get some protein in you. without it you will feel so run down and exhausted. If you don't feel up to shredded chicken yet, scrambled eggs are really soft and loaded with protein

you do not have to just drink water, you can drink milk or fruit juices or make a smoothie with fruits and yogurt. it will help fill you up and provide vitamins. as of tomorrow on day 7 it is also ok for you to drink from a straw.

Last edited:
I'm so sorry that you have been through so much. ScaredyCat has given you such good advice and although I have little to add, just wanted to wish you well. I hope your mouth feels better soon :)

Catie

You poor thing! I lived on yoghurt, scrambled eggs and mashed potatoes for a week after having my wisdom tooth extracted - you can swallow them whole and you need to be strong if you have infection. Get some antibiotics as well if you haven't already to fight any infection. The bad taste may also come from food (if you have had any) that may get stuck especially in lower back extraction sites - did anyone give you a syringe to flush them out with? Hope you start to feel better soon.:XXLhug:

Back