• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

28 years since last cleaning

B

Blackey

Was scared to death and finally went thought would need 10 teeth pulled , but actually needed two wisdom teeth pulled and Periodontal scaling and root planning guess this is called deep cleaning .. Now I have to go back in 6 weeks he said to check things and get polishing ... well its been 11 days and my teeth still dont feel back to normal ...one side is super sensitive ..and I am scared to go back expecting worst ... But my question is when I drink cold drink one side hurts more than others hope I he didnt miss cavity on xray ... He did one prior to cleaning and extraction ... but not after I have been talking with mouth closed for years anxeity kept me away woke up sweating at night day before my visit it was a miracle I went ..but now I am just wondering how long this sensitivity can last have read several answers on internet .., some say could last awhile but why after 11 days its still hurting with cold drinks ,,, First it was sore when chewing in that side that has stopped but now its hurring when cold on my back guess molar area .. ole well pray its not abscess or cavity and somehow I can go back in 4 weeks and have guts to go back ... scared of the pain and all the bad news God bless yall if anyone needs a pal or someone to talk to I am here I feel everyones fear and pain ... I am still struggling but trying to get through my grandpa died from tooth extraction .., and that didnt help me either it was back 40 years ago and they told him not to pull it and he dis anyway but still scared me ... Thanks for any input

Sensitive teeth are quite common after deep scaling, the gums will shrink back after the scaling and expose a little bit of root surface, which can be sensitive. Don't worry about it, it's perfectly normal.
Apply some desensitising tooth paste to the area, rub it in with your finger last thing before bedtime and leave it there. Should settle down nicely after a couple of days.

Gordon should it start like 13 days after cleaning ? Will the sensitive tooth paste kill the sensitivity for good if so why ? Thanks for reply

Sensitive teeth are quite common after deep scaling, the gums will shrink back after the scaling and expose a little bit of root surface, which can be sensitive. Don't worry about it, it's perfectly normal.
Apply some desensitising tooth paste to the area, rub it in with your finger last thing before bedtime and leave it there. Should settle down nicely after a couple of days.
Thanks asked a question can this heal it long term if so why ?

It can do, depends how long it takes for the gums to start healing.
Basically root sensitivity is due to little tiny pores which go through the tooth from the inner nerve to the outer surface. They're usually covered by gum or by stuff called cementum, but sometimes there are little gaps in the coverage.
The nerves in teeth are pretty "dumb", they only transmit pain signals, not hot/cold/sweet/touch etc like other nerves do, so anything that sets them off will give a pain response. The sensitive pastes basically block up the pores.

It can do, depends how long it takes for the gums to start healing.
Basically root sensitivity is due to little tiny pores which go through the tooth from the inner nerve to the outer surface. They're usually covered by gum or by stuff called cementum, but sometimes there are little gaps in the coverage.
The nerves in teeth are pretty "dumb", they only transmit pain signals, not hot/cold/sweet/touch etc like other nerves do, so anything that sets them off will give a pain response. The sensitive pastes basically block up the pores.
Why did it take 11 days for the sensitivity to begin do you think it will heal it forever or will I have to use the sensitivity paste daily thanks again By the way Flintstones is my favorite cartoon

I honestly don't know, it could have taken that length of time for your gums to heal up and shrink back down to where they are supposed to be.
No you probably won't need to use the paste forever, generally once the tubules are blocked off the problem goes away. It can come back again in different areas though.
I picked Fred as an avatar 'way back mainly because there were only a few avatars available at the time and he was about the best one going. I do like the cartoon but was always a Tom & Jerry and Coyote and Roadrunner fan.

I honestly don't know, it could have taken that length of time for your gums to heal up and shrink back down to where they are supposed to be.
No you probably won't need to use the paste forever, generally once the tubules are blocked off the problem goes away. It can come back again in different areas though.
I picked Fred as an avatar 'way back mainly because there were only a few avatars available at the time and he was about the best one going. I do like the cartoon but was always a Tom & Jerry and Coyote and Roadrunner fan.
Thanks for help

Back