• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

2nd opinion

C

Calanon

Hey guys and gals

So following on from my heelllllppppp post, so since then I went to see my dentist as the hospital refuse to see me ? about the pus discharge coming from the stitches (which should have dissolved by now) from where I had my lower wisdom tooth removed and he says everything is normal and healing fine even the pus discharge is normal but should do salt water mouth rinses every 2 hours and carry on taking the ibroprufen and paracetamol to take the swelling down and help with the pain which is great but would salt water get rid of the infection is a pus discharge quite normal (this may be my anxiety speaking) but I'm quite scared that this will not heal and end up with all sorts of problems.

My dentist also mentioned that they do not give out anti-biotics unless you are extremely swollen or can't breath (his words) does that sound right, I feel bad questioning his way but it's my mouth at the end of the day.

Many thanks for all the help and support
Cal ?

Sorry, I really have no idea - but I have an infection as well since May, it has swelled up twice and went back down, I saw a dentist, my doctor, and spoke with a nurse over the phone and they said also said that I did not need (or shouldn't take) antibiotics.

But they also said to call/come back if the swelling spread to the outside of my face (it was only inside my mouth), or if I was having trouble breathing, or if I had a fever or if I had any new symptoms...

I've also had a bit of discharge coming from one of my sockets. It doesn't happen often, maybe now once a day if that but it comes sort of a greenish smelly discharge.

I went to my oral surgeon and he claimed he can't give me any meds because he has to see himself the extraction site oozing the green discharge. It's near impossible for me to do because I don't live close to his office and it takes me a long time to park and even get to his office.

I'm going to my dentist tomorrow morning and getting her opinion.

Do any dentists or doctors or experts on this site know if a discharge is somewhat normal?

It's been 2 weeks for me now. I don't have any pain or swelling.

I don't know if anyone responds on this message board anymore, seems sort of quiet around here.

I've searched for answers everywhere on the net and can't find any one saying if a green discharge with no pain or fever is ok. I also have some white flakes down my cheek on that side too.

The extraction site that I am talking about seems bigger than the other bottom one. I think I got stuck with a lousy surgeon.

A little bit of discharge during the healing process is normal. As long as you're not having any additional swelling or pain, I wouldn't be concerned. Once the sockets have healed over all the way you shouldn't have this problem anymore.

I really appreciate the reply very very much, thank you.

I went to my regular dentist and I told her what was happening and she found a tiny tiny hole in the extraction site. She took an x-ray and it showed some puss inside the socket. It still hasn't healed like the other sockets.

She flushed the little hole with anti septic fluid and drained the little puss that was inside. She gave me anti biotics for 7 days.

She said the hole should heal up in a few weeks but if it doesn't, then I might have to go back to my oral surgeon and have him open the extraction up again. I really don't want to have to do that. I've been really anxious and depressed about this whole situation.

She said continue with salt water rinses and brushing and just trying to keep the mouth clean.

I'm hoping and praying the hole closes up and heals during the week I'm taking the anti biotics.

My oral surgeon is really crappy and I'm disappointed in his services. I hope I can just put all of this behind me soon and move on.

Hi DRM

I'm sorry to bother you again but I had a few questions and I don't have anywhere to ask.

I had my 4 wisdom teeth taken out on Thurs, Oct 6.

On Wed, Oct 19, my denstist still found a tiny tiny hole that was with a little bit of puss. She drained it out and gave me amoxicillin for 7 days.

I wanted to ask you, what are the chances this small tiny little hole will heal by the time the anti biotics are done?

My dentist said if it doesn't heal they might have to cut it open again and drain whatever is inside and stitch it up again.

I also wanted to ask when it's ok to drink coffee? I did tonight on day 16 but I sort of regret it now cause I don't want to dislodge any clots. I was careful not to do a lot of sucking or sipping and tried to swallow it directly down my tongue and down my throat without touching the sockets.

I'm sorry to bother you but I don't know where else to turn to.

In the vast majority of cases, draining an area like that and taking antibiotics will take care of it.

At this point you should be entirely fine to drink coffee. You really only need to avoid hot liquids for the first 3-5 days after an extraction. The hot liquids have a tendency to dissolve the clot.

Thanks so much. I've been doing salt water rinses still and it's day 27. My dentist said as long as I keep up the cleanliness and maintain my mouth in good shape I should be ok.

Thanks again. <3:)

Back