• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

3+ weeks post extraction-infected or food stuck?

S

Spookypoodle

I got all 4 wisdom teeth out a little over 3 weeks ago, the two weeks were hell, I was in so much pain I was put on antibiotics, between the tooth pain and nausea from antibiotics I just simply didn't eat and lost over 10lbs.

After those 2 weeks I felt totally fine, I could eat everything. Nothing hurt my gums or teeth at all. So I went back to a normal diet and returned to my normal life.

However, now, my gums hurt a bit on one side kind of how it feels when you've got a piece of popcorn really wedged in there that you can't get out, and my cheek has swelled back up to about how it was a few days post op.

The extraction site is now very tiny so I can't see if there is food in it but I poked it with one of those floss picks and it's very deep and a lot of white fluid came out that tasted bad.

I don't immediately assume it's infected because the infection I had the first time the pain was far far worse.

Is it safe for me to go out and buy a syringe and try to flush it out myself assuming the issue is that food is stuck in it? Or should I just suck it up and miss work to go to the dentist a third time?

Hi Spookypoodle,

sorry to hear about your ordeal. It might not be what you would like to hear, but whenever there is a choice between DIY dentistry and seeing a real dentist, the safest choice would be to see a real dentist.

All the best wishes and keep us posted.

Hi Spookypoodle,

Just wondering what happened after seeing your dentist again? I’m having a similar thing almost 2 weeks post op. Had a small infection post op just finished the antibiotics but still have some pain and i think the side where the impacted tooth was is slightly swelling again. Thanks.

Back