• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

48 hrs post extraction and scared to death!!!

K

Kyderry

Hi I'm new here but am so grateful to have stumbled upon this page! I had my left lower very back molar surgically extracted Friday morning. I put it off for ages because of bad experiences with past dental work and a massive fear of a repeat bout of dry socket. I had dry socket on BOTH sides 6 years ago after wisdom teeth removal! Anyway, I also shamefully admit that I am a pack-a-day smoker. I've managed to smoke only 4 cigarettes since extraction which is huge for me but I know is also incredibly stupid for my mouth. I did cover the extraction spot with wet gauze each time and rinsed gently after each smoke, but I am still terrified that the socket is going to dry up ??? I am having pain in my gums, cheek and jaw, but not worse than when the numbing wore off, and I could assume it is from the shots to numb everything up (there were a LOT of them before and again during the procedure). I can't see the red blood clot anymore today though, just a whitish stuff, and I am absolutely petrified that I've gone and screwed myself and that I'm going to wake up in the morning or middle of the night to immense incurable pain and swelling! I haven't eaten anything except a bowl of chocolate ice cream and a couple of pudding cups so I don't think the white is food being that I've eaten nothing white. The only positive thing is that I've managed to cut WAY back on smoking, although all this stress is making a smoke sound better and better! Can anyone tell me if this sounds like the start to dry socket??? I can't remember from when I had it before - I just remember pain and misery but not anything leading up to it! Please please please and in advance, thank you!

I forgot to add, I also have a throbbing pain on the inside lower inner area like under the back of my tongue that is new, and kind of a salty odd taste from the extraction area that i don't know if it is from the wound itself or from residue from the salt water rinses...

Back