• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

5th months still got a abscess

O

OxfordGuy

So I've had a lower first molar abscess for 5 months and swollen the whole time as well as pain it needs to be extracted but I can't find a local dentist to do a PDL injection so I'm suffering and given up having this tooth out by a dentist as no matter what I won't have a block injection and can't due to medical conditions anyway

how can I find a dentist that is local and can do a PDL if I can't find one soon I'm going have take it out myself

1. Don't try to pull it yourself. On this website, they have a section for DIY dentistry that explains what you can and what you can't do at home. At the bottom it has a story about a dentist (fully qualified) that tried to do dental work on his own teeth, and he actually made it much worse. Even a fully trained professional who tried it on themselves ended up making things worse, and some other dentists even had to end up getting teeth pulled. Here is the link to that section of the website.

2. I actually had to look up PDL injection to see what you were talking about. For me, I usually notice when I'm getting numbed up my lips go numb too (which sounds like the block injection). I kind of prefer it that way so my brain thinks 'Oh if even my lips are numb, my whole mouth has got to be super numb!'...because I'm a huge wuss for pain in the dental chair. It also helps as a road map to which teeth are numb. I did notice you mentioned a medical condition, so I would understand why you would not want a block injection.

3. Start calling around to different dentists. If you can't find a dentist that can do it without a block injection you should start calling up oral surgeons. Because oral surgeons can do different types of anesthesia, they might be able to do it without a block injection, but it may involve full sedation. I've had a tooth pulled under full anesthesia and the surgery itself wasn't too bad. You just have to take really good care of the incision and follow all the aftercare instructions carefully.

Try contacting your local dental school and see if they can help you.

Back