• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

6 Days Post Extraction and Could Use Some Emotional Support

  • Thread starter Thread starter michisafraid
  • Start date Start date
M

michisafraid

Member
Joined
May 15, 2013
Messages
44
Hello,

I am 6 days post extraction of my upper molar #14. I have had a lot of trouble coping emotionally with all of this. I should feel blessed as I have had very little pain and that was just the first day really, I don't believe much, if any, swelling either. My main problem was/is the oozing. I bled the first day pretty good and then it calmed down some the second day. The third and fourth it bled some, and yesterday and today it has oozed a bit in the morning. (red and brown blood - not much) And the taste has been just awful...I have a horrible horrible taste in my mouth and my dentist said it is from the fermentation of the area, whatever that means. ;) He assures me I do not have an infection. I am not on an antibiotic. The tooth was an old root canal tooth that needed another root canal or extraction. I chose the extraction. I caught it before it got infected.

I have followed instructions to the letter! I won't eat on that side, I don't brush it, I keep my mouth clean, I use the salt water rinses and I don't spit - I just let it fall out of my mouth. I just started Peridex a few days ago too...my dentist said I didn't need it but for my emotional state he prescribed it so I feel cleaner in my mouth.

Now, don't laugh, but I have gone to see my dentist every day except yesterday to have him reassure me I am healing fine. I panic if I don't have him take a quick peek and luckily for me he has been outstanding with me and my nerves. I normally shy away from the dentist but now I want to move in there, lol My husband won't go in with me anymore, he said no one goes each day after an extraction for reassurance. My dentist assures me I am healing fine but for whatever reason I keep thinking I will get a dry socket or an abscess or some infection that will swell me up and put me in the hospital! :(

I keep looking at it and it is black and has some white. My gums around it are changing too a bit today (day 6). I am hoping they are not swelling. I am in a panic something will go wrong.

Has anyone else had this kind of freaking out post extraction?

Thank You,
Mich
 
It is scary when we have a tooth out because it is a change and it isn't something we do often, so it is not like we can get used to it. Your dentist sounds lovely, I would think as you have seen him everyday that you can believe that things are going fine and dandy.

I hope you can stop being so afraid and when you get used to the change in your mouth you will feel much better. It is normal to think things aren't right or that they are going to go wrong, so you are not on your own with feeling like this.

I doubt that you will get an infection and end up in hospital. The white stuff you are seeing is graduation tissue I think it is called and it is a good thing it means you are healing well. Nobody will laugh at you on here we all have our own demons to deal with, and we all understand each other and respect how we are all feeling about different treatments that we need to have.

Do let us know how you go on, I think you will be fine although it must be driving you mad to have a horrible taste in your mouth. It will stop eventually try not to let it get on top of you. :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

All the best :butterfly:
 
Hi Carole,

Thank you so much for taking the time to reply to me, I really appreciate it! It is nice to hear I am not alone feeling this way but how sad for any of us that have to endure this emotional pain. :( It was hard enough getting up the courage to get to the dentist and get the work done but then when recovering one would think it would be more of a feeling of relief, and thankfully many do get that feeling of relief. I am hopeful once this oozing of blood stops on my socket and horrible taste passes I will feel relief and not feel the need to go see my dentist for a long time. ;)

Take care and thank you again Carole, :)
Mich
 
Just to add I hate the time after an extraction, I don't want to see the site and I do worry that I will get food stuck in there but this all passes fairly quickly and we do feel normal again.

I think once the oozing etc... has stopped you will feel much better and fully back to normal. It is a change in the mouth and they need a bit of time to get used to, but you will. Keep us posted :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::butterfly:
 
Back
Top