• Dental Phobia Support

Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

Register now to access all the features of the forum.

72 years old in poor health - should he get a full mouth of implants?

W

Whats_next

My husband is not in good health, he dips snuff, and does not take good care of himself. He has a traumatic brain injury and seems fixated on his looks. His teeth are bad and he wants to get a mouth full of implants. We are on a fixed income and this would greatly reduce our savings. What would you do?

Personally, I would shy away from implants at his age and health. I am also on a fixed income and I would look into possible dentures/partial to improve the smile without breaking the bankZ

He just came back from an implant dentist who told him his bottom teeth are good. The top teeth would be $24,000. This is making me crazy.

My husband is not in good health, he dips snuff, and does not take good care of himself. He has a traumatic brain injury and seems fixated on his looks. His teeth are bad and he wants to get a mouth full of implants. We are on a fixed income and this would greatly reduce our savings. What would you do?

Hi Whats_next, sounds like your husband and you have quite different opinions about what he should do. Before I jump into comments on implants, you mentioned a traumatic brain injury and fixation on his looks, how long ago did that happen? Do you suspect that the implant idea is a result of that? And how long has your husband been wanting to get the implants?

He has been going to the dentist often. He has a dry mouth and this has resulted in him getting cavities often. He has had about four done on the top. His fixation has been going on for a while but not always about his teeth. It's like a mid-life crisis. He joined the gym and started taking all kind of supplements which affect his brain. Pain meds cause him problems mentally too. This concerns me. He has A-fib, he has a "Watchman" in his heart to control strokes, he has diabetes, he is on alprazolam, duloxetine, lisinopril, levothyroxine, metformin, clopidogrel, (plavix), niphedipine ER, famitodine, atorvastatin, quitiapine, furosemide, metroprolol, donepezil HC, testosterone, memantine, propanolol.

Last edited:
Hi there, is the implant dentist aware of the medications he's on?

I'll move this back into the Ask a Dentist section as (looking at that list of medications) it sounds special needs-related, rather than a general dental question ?

I'm not sure what the question is?

I may be completely off with this, but I believe there are several concerns on your side: you are wondering whether the implants are a wise decision given your husband's medication and current life style (not taking good care of himself). If I got you right, you are also concerned about his mental health - the side effects of his medication and the changes in his way of being after his injury. And you are worried that his decision to get implants will ruin you financially. And I believe that a big difficulty here is, that your husband's health is his decision and you can't make him change his mind based on your concerns.

On the medical part, I cannot comment and would expect his dentist to take care of it. They should have viewed the list of his medication and also take a look at whether your husband's home care is sufficient so that he would be able to take care of his new implants.

The part with mental health - if you believe that the decision is a result of a mental health condition and that his injury or medication is colliding with his judgment right now, then having a chat with his doctor may be the best idea. When it comes to his joining the gym and starting with supplements, I could imagine how difficult it must be for you to acept those changes and his new behaviors, but if it is what makes him happy, why not? We do not have to stay the same all the time and there are bodybuilders that started in their 80's. Maybe this is his new passion (provided his doctor is aware of this and approves).

When it comes to finances, I totally see how huge investments like this, particularly if it goes from your savings, should be discussed together in your relationship. Have you had a good chat about what his getting implants would mean for your financial situation and future? Figuring out whether you can afford it or not?

Last thing I was wondering is this: are you having your needs met at the moment? It sounds like your husband has a new way of life, making changes and intending on spending a lot of money on it, so I am wondering whether you are getting something that makes you happy as well? If he can spend $24.000 on something that's not absolutely necessary, then you deserve to invest in something you wish for yourself as well.

Again, I may be completely off with all of this, so please let me know if that's the case. Just sharing what crossed my mind while reading your posts.

My husband's health is not good but he will not admit it. He has always denied anything going on with him, to the point where I'm calling 911 about him. I do not feel he is up to getting this done. This is number one. He just had surgery and came home with hallucinations and confusion. I ended up taking him to ER. I am his caretaker. I had a brain tumor removed at the end of 2018. I have my own issues and as his caretaker, it is extremely hard on me. The money would not be an issue if he were in good health because at this point the dentist he saw yesterday said he only needed the top done so it would be half of what he started out with being told. I do not trust these dentists, especially one that calls you himself on a Saturday when you've sent an online inquiry. I am a suspicious person because my husband has fallen for more scams and unscrupulous people's tales of woe more than I can count. He does not have good judgment and is too trusting. I did talk to someone who works in an implant office and she said the price was right. So, that did make me feel better about the price. We are living on SS and my husband's retirement. If he or I have to go into a care facility, it could easily wipe us out. I don't have any wants for myself as far as getting my needs met. Maybe a vacation without him somewhere, but I don't feel I can leave him. He has an addiction problem and has had it since I've known him. He's gone from one thing to another. I just found out yesterday that Immodium is addictive and there are cautions about it. He takes it all the time! It is difficult for me to get to any of his doctors and really be able to explain what goes on with him. He is a difficult person also. One neurologist and a dentist have dropped him, one for failure to follow his recommendations and the other for saying something he shouldn't have to one of the women in the office. I told him this morning to give it six months and lets see where he is at. Yesterday he fell. He did not trip, he just fell. He took a nap and thought it was the next day and in the morning. He is still confused today. His delusion about wanting to get buff was ridiculous. He saw all those people in the gym and wanted to be like them. That sent him to GNC where he bought hundreds of dollars of supplements that screwed with his brain. I have fought and fought to keep him away from them. So, I hope you get the picture that this 72-year-old man has health and mental problems and this is no easy decision.

Enaret, I do appreciate your reply and input.

What's the GNC supplements you think have messed his brain up?

I just wonder if deep down he knows he's in poor health and is trying to get as fit as he can.. Some things about his health/ deterioration is out of his control so he goes ott to try and regain some, wherever that may be?
You live with him though, you're the best judge. If you feel something is really wrong go back to your doctor.

I'd be separating money at this point, just incase he does something reckless and it has an impact on your future (granted, you want one together, but you need to protect yourself, your health and your future also).
We do live in strange times, it's very much looks focused these days, getting older probably makes some feel even worse..

I don't think implants are plain sailing as I understand it. I've watched a few videos and seen quite a few fail, so it has its downsides.. That said, it has worked well for ppl also. But is he aware of the bigger picture?
Perhaps you should get more opinions and go along, then put your side across as I doubt he is being completely honest, esp about finances.

Do your friends or family see any of what you see in him?

The GNC supplements messed him up temporarily. He cannot take a lot of things because of his brain injury. They affect him adversely.

Regarding finances, I have done that before and he felt belittled. I don't think I need to do it again at this point. But would if I thought I needed to.

I do know him. I know his health. The doctors/dentists he sees do not. They are only getting a small picture when I see the whole picture.

I told him lets wait six months and then look at this again. He seems satisfied with that.

Thanks for your insight.

Maybe it's worth a little research (if you haven't already) on what the possible changes are in him/his personality after such a brain injury, or joiining a support forum to connect with other wives/partners.. I'm not sure if the doctor told you to expect anything. I imagine it can be difficult for you at times.
I hope things settle for you, best of luck to you both x

Thank you Nicci.

I don't think implants are plain sailing as I understand it. I've watched a few videos and seen quite a few fail, so it has its downsides.. That said, it has worked well for ppl also. But is he aware of the bigger picture?

That's what I was wondering as well. Even though none of the things you mentioned would be absolute contraindications to getting dental implants, I was wondering about the cumulative effect of things like dipping snuff, taking SNRIs, various health and mental health conditions etc. and to what extent they might impact potential implant failure. So if after 6 months he wants to revisit the idea, it might be an idea to get a second opinion. Considering the cost, it's probably worth getting a second opinion, anyway ?

Best of luck!!

I told him lets wait six months and then look at this again. He seems satisfied with that.

This sounds good, six months break from worrying about consequences of implants will surely do good. Maybe he abandons the idea until then. To me it sounds like taken together, there are many reasons why implants many not be the best solution long term.

That's how I see it (to both Enarete and letsconnect). I pray he will give up the idea. But since his teeth are bad, he may not. I just need to find a professional who will tell him that it's not a good idea considering all he has going on. --Thanks.

Back