• Dental Phobia Support

    Welcome! This is an online support group for anyone who is has a severe fear of the dentist or dental treatment. Please note that this is NOT a general dental problems or health anxiety forum! You can find a list of them here.

    Register now to access all the features of the forum.

A few post extraction questions

  • Thread starter Thread starter GummyMummy17
  • Start date Start date
GummyMummy17

GummyMummy17

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 27, 2010
Messages
381
Location
Essex
:) Morning all, I'm sorry if these questions have been asked before and I really don't mind being directed to another link but I want to stay within this forum as that's where I feel safest, everyone here is great:D

I had a full extraction on Weds, 16 remaining teeth removed by IV sedation.Am feeling absolutely great, chipper in fact.Have Amoxycillin antibiotics (3 a day for 5 days) No immediates in place.The 2nd dentist said about infection I knew there would be some and I'm guessing that's what the anti-b's are for.I have stitches, what happens with them? I have no follow up appointments, obviously the onus is on me to go back to my dentist as I don't want to be left without teeth but I find it rather strange reading others stories/experiences that I haven't had even as much as an x-ray:( I think it might be that I was so so scared that they could obviously see what I needed, once I allowed them to look into my mouth that they thought lets deal with this first, I can totally appreciate this as it's obviously a huge thing.I'm suprised I am being so positive to be honest, part of it was drugs I think still in my body from the sedation but last night I was really laughing which I put down to relief:) I don't want to be depressed again or as depressed as I was, I'm never going to allow myself to get like that again and I never had any tablets which I really think I should have but as you can all understand I never went to Docs about it as I was too embarrased about how I looked, but that's all in the past now(hopefully she says:))
I suppose my questions are. . . what happens with my stitches? When do you think I should be booking an appointment to speak to my dentist? How do they do an impression if you don't have teeth(I'm sorry this is probably really stupid:-[) My husband says they are doing an impression of the gums which I get but how will they sort out my teeth?
If I went to my 1st dentist he would have x-rays from before.Could I bring in a photo of how I used to look, not that I'd ever want my goofy teeth back :P And another really daft question and I know you will all say there's no such thing as a daft question, it's daft that you don't ask. . . but I'm in no pain, it's less then 2 days since I had it done and apart from initially when I was taking the max amount of Ibuprofen(no more than 6 tabs in 24hrs) and even then it was just a dull ache in jaw.What is that? Could it be just the trauma of the surgery and I'm sure it's to be expected or could it be more? If , say, I had an infection in my jaw say, how would I know? Would there be a lot of pain? I suppose I'm a little worried as gum disease is a terrible thing, I had very little pain.O'h and what do I do about my tongue? I'm doing the salty mouthwashes, I'm going to take my amoxycillin religiously, I'm very good not to dig about with my tongue, but I do have a taste in my mouth, I'm thinking it's yucky gunk coming out.Should I brush my tongue with toothpaste or with mouthwash? Should I be using Corsodyl? You see the Anaesthetic clinic just gave me a printed off sheet for 1st 24hr care and that's it:( I am also drinking loads of pineapple juice:) I have lots of faith in my healing abilities, generally I'm usually in very good health, I don't smoke never have, I do drink but can easily knock that on the head if someone on here suggests it;D I am a worrywort though and I don't want that to kill me as I'm doing so well[smiley=jumping.gif] You guys are all fantastic, just look at the difference in me:yay:
 
I got a sheet detailing for a week after and its says:

Soft light diet

Salt water mouthwashesafter everymeal and more frequently if possible. Mix one teaspoon of salt in a glass of waterand gently bathe operative site.

Use analgesics as above for pain relief, if needed

Pain, swelling and stiffness should startto settle within3-4 days. If not contact the Oral SurgeryDepartment.

And thats it!

My stitches areself-dissolving, some have already gone and the rest within the next week. The pain stopped within a couple of days, not entirely, but enough so I didnt need regular painkillers, just have an ache that felt like I'd been hit in the face, but thats gone!
Was told absolutely not to use Corysdol, but to continue with the salt water, just as effective, with no nasty chemicals!


And blimey, isnt it just mad how much you worry before hand, and how good it is after!(Apart from my little incident with my immediates!)
 
Back
Top